Chapter Seventeen

The next days were even worse than I've expected. Ringo, of course, couldn't leave Brian's house, but we had to go back to our hotel.

Next to the building we saw big group of people — our fans, as it turned out. It was a really nice surprise, because most of them came to show their support. None of them knew that Ringo wasn't in the arrest anymore. Also, we got a few gifts and letters. Honestly, I thought that we'll lose most of the fans because of this incident, but the opposite happened.

Shortly after I was sitting with John and watching all the gifts.

"Hey, look at this," Lennon handed me one of the letters.

"Someone made a petition? To acquit Ringo?" I couldn't believe this. Did people really loved us that much? It was wonderful.

"Could that succeed?"

"If he was in the arrest, maybe."

"Oh, right."

"We're in trouble," said Paul, suddenly storming into the room; he looked pale, it had to be something serious.

"What's going on?"

"We have to come on trial."

"What?"

"Ringo's case, they want to interrogate us."

"Damn," murmured John, whereas I was speechless. I wasn't able to think about anything other than Richard. What will happen if they find out? What will happen? I've promised to protect him, I couldn't stand living without him.

"When?" Lennon's voice brought me back on Earth.

"In two days."

"Guys, we... we can't..." I started shakily, but John interrupted me.

"We won't say a word. He's our friend. And he didn't do anything. I would have objections if he killed someone, but loving another person can't be bad. How fucked people can be to think something like this?"

"I agree, we can't let Ringo go to jail," Paul nodded.

"Thank you guys, you don't even know how much I love you."

"Yeah, you're welcome. Now let's pack and go back to Brian." They left. I was alone and scared as hell, but they were my friends and I trusted them more than anyone in this world.

Those two days passed quickly and before I knew, we were already sitting in a waiting room, nervous. I tried to fight my emotions but deep down inside I was completely broken. All the mixed feelings, fear, anger, unsureness. I didn't feel like getting through all of this, but I had to. For Ringo, for my love.

Richard was aghast. It hurt me that I couldn't just hug him, comfort him, say that everything will be alright — my heart wanted to do this so much, to do anything. Suddenly I heard footsteps and raised my head, seeing short women walking into our direction. Ringo got up and hugged her tightly. And then I realized.

Miss Starkey was standing next to me. I got up and walked to her.

"Geo, it's my mum, mum, it's..."

"This is him? This boy?"

Richard nodded. Did she know? Did he tell her?

"Oh, nice to meet you, George."

"Nice to meet you too, Ms. Starkey. I..."

"Not now. I'll gladly talk to you when this whole circus will be over. Ritchie..." She turned to her son. "Harry is standing outside the building. He wants to talk to you. Hurry up."

They walked out.