Chapter Twenty Five

*Pete's PoV*

I took a seat in the courtroom. I had no doubts as to the results of the trial.

Starkey can pack his things. Everywhere everyone was talking only about his affair. Nothing counted beside him and his lover. Of course, I knew all the rumors were bullshit. He got caught with Harrison, not Paul. I've decided to keep this fact to myself. I'll let them believe whatever they wanna believe. It'll only help me win, after all.

After a while McCartney walked in. What a surprise. He looked quite confident, I've got to admit. Wonder how long for.

The judge started questioning. After some questions about name and everything prosecutor took over. Finally, the fun part has started.

What was interesting was that he didn't have to lie. He had no problem with any question. Everyone focused on the rumors and didn't even bother asking about anything more. Paul had nothing to hide. I knew it, and so did he.

Next one to be questioned was George. It didn't take really long, everything he had to say, he has said last time. Well, it was his version but no one discredited it.

*George's PoV*

In the waiting room John kept on saying everything will be alright. And I was able to believe him all along. Until I saw the judge, the way he looked at me and the glance he was giving Ringo from time to mine. It'd be a miracle if we manage to leave the room as free men. Especially Ringo.

At least the judge didn't bother me for too long. It seemed like I had said enough. Who cares those were mostly lies, no one had to know.

I sat down on the witness' place. Paul gave me a weak smile. I knew he didn't say anything. But I wasn't sure if it changes anything. Most of the time I was looking at the floor. I couldn't even force myself to look at Ringo. I was afraid I would do something stupid. Something everyone would regret deeply.

People were coming one by one, till the judge said he has had enough. They let us leave, going to the conference themselves.

It took my whole willpower to withhold my feelings. I didn't want to break down right now, even though I was close. After few minutes of sitting with the guys I knew I couldn't take it any longer. I apologized and went off to the restroom. I needed to calm down a little before the end of the intermission.

When I came back John and Paul ware talking with some girls. It wouldn't surprise me if we weren't in a bloody courthouse, waiting for the adjudication that may put our friend into jail. I got closer, curious.

"Hey, what's going on?"

"Nothing really."

"Girls wanted to wish us good luck," explained John.

"Oh..." I got a little confused. "Thank you."

"Welcome. We hope Ringo's going to be alright."

"Yeah, me too," I sighed.

I couldn't tell if they didn't believe in Ringo's fault, or they simply had nothing against it. It didn't matter at all. They wanted to show their support and, to be honest, I begun to have hope again. It didn't have to end like that. There's still a chance.

In a blink of an eye I was sitting there again. Feeling better. Not much better but I finally forced myself to look at Richard. I smiled and he looked away. I kept saying to myself it was going to be alright. Then the judge spoke:

"...I find the defendant, Richard Starkey guilty..."

Guilty.