Chapter Five- Gappy and his stick

"So, where is everyone?" Hannah asked as she and Donnie entered the dojo. "Well, Mikey is in his room doing only Darwin knows what. And Leo and Raph took Scar and Liv out for a double date to the movies, but knowing them, that's not going to end well. Leo and Olivia like watching romance movies because they think that one day, they'll have a simple life like that together, while Scar and Raph like the action and horror, because they have an excuse to cling to one another whenever something jumps out." "Wait, like public theater? But... How would that even...." "They wore disguises." Donnie interrupted. "Ah." Hannah nodded.

Donnie walked over to the weapons rack and pulled out a bō that resembles his, but not fully. "Alright. We're going to start simple. Just twirling it slowly." Donnie explained, demonstrating. "Now you try." Hannah did, rotating the staff in a slow manner. "Okay, now gradually speed up when you feel confident enough to do so." Hannah took a deep breath and did as she was told. She lost her grip halfway through and the bō fell out of her hand. She bent down to pick it up. "Your fine. Just try again." Donnie encouraged. She did, only to get the same results. Donnie picked it up for her this time. "This happened to me the first few go around too, you'll get the hang of it, I swear." Hannah sighed dejectedly.
— — —

Hannah groaned as the bō fell from her hands once again for the umpteenth time. They'd been practicing for forever!!! "I can't do it! I can't! You know my life is screwed up if I can't use a stupid stick to fight!!!" "Well, technically, it's not that simple, but I'm sure with some extra lessons from Sensei..." "I don't think I'm going to need lessons. I'm not even sure I qualify for them. Let's face it, some people are bred for this kind of thing. And I'm not one of them." Hannah placed the bō back on the weapons rack and began to trudge out of the dojo in a defeated manner. Donnie's brow furrowed and he looked at his own weapon.

His fingers accidentally brushed a sensitive spot on it and the naginata blade popped out. Instead of yelping in fear as he usually would, Donnie gave a devious smile. "Hannah wait! Before you give up, I want you to try one more weapon." Hannah turned around to look at him. "What if I don't want to?" She asked. "Then you don't have to." Donnie responded honestly. Hannah raised a brow. "Why is it that I suddenly want to try that weapon?" Donnie shrugged. "It's the anatomy of the human mind." He said. He handed her a metal staff that had a long bladed end. "It's called a naginata. It's Similar to the bō staff, but is has more balance. Try it."

Hannah grasped it in her hands getting used to the feeling of the metal upon her palm. Then as if it were second nature, she began to agilely twirl it around, not as fast and fluid as Donnie, but she accomplished it nonetheless. Donnie applauded her with a grin. Hannah smiled. "I think I've found my weapon."