Chapter Seven- A little fallout, a lot of hurt

"Ouch!" Hannah exclaimed as Olivia brushed out a knot in her hair. "Sorry." The blonde muttered, wincing. She picked up a purple scrunchie that matched Hannah's Pjs and pulled it over the ponytail that she'd been able to hold. Hannah felt the two strands of her hair, that were shorter than the rest, hang freely at the sides of her face. She looked in the mirror at the perfect style Olivia had been able to accomplish. "Thanks, Liv." She grinned, hopping off of the bed. Olivia shrugged. "You're welcome."

"Guys, five more minutes until it's time to head to April's." Scar said, holding up her phone and showing the girls the time. April thought that since Hannah was new and all that it would be best if they all got acquainted. And she thought a slumber party would be the best way to go. Hannah didn't have any objections. In fact, she loved slumber parties. She couldn't even remember the last time she'd been to one. And that was what made her so nervous.

What if she made herself look bad. What if she said the wrong thing and everyone laughed at her. What if.. 

Before she knew it, she was in Donnie's lab. He was in the living room reading about the life of Charles Darwin. Hannah began to pace back and forward, gently chewing on the knuckle of her index finger. "Chill out, Hannah. Calm down. It's not the end of the world. You need to stop pouring salt in you wounds over this kind of thing. You'll kill yourself." "Over what?" At the sound of Donnie's voice,  Hannah yelped in fear, losing her balance and falling into the lab desk. However, her flailing arms hit one of two beakers upon it and it fell off, shattering on impact with the ground.

Hannah silently cursed herself for not using her powers to summon a forcefield in time. The look of shock on Donnie's face told her all she needed to know: She'd messed up. Big time. "Oh, my gosh. Donnie. I'm sorry... I... I didn't mean to. I'm just a naturally clumsy person and you scared me." He said nothing, only closed his eyes and began mumbling things Hannah couldn't understand. "I can help you fix it if you want. I mean, I can't mix the chemicals and stuff, but I can buy you more ingredients and beakers, I can hand you the stuff you need, I can read you your notes while you follow them, too. We can fix this." Donnie's russet eyes shot open.

"Fix this?" He asked. "Fix it?!" Hannah stepped backwards as Donnie looked over at her with anger boiling through his veins. "There's no fixing this Hannah! It took me a year to make it that far in my very important experiment! VERY IMPORTANT! And you wrecked it! You wrecked it!!! That's not something that can be fixed easily! In fact, it can't be fixed at all!" Hannah looked at her feet in shame. "I'm sorry. I'll try and work on my balance, more. I can train harder and try to erase my clumsiness." "Don't even." He said. "You might ruin you chances at completing that too." Tears threatened to fall from Hannah's eyes and she looked at Donnie with shock. He actually said that to her? But...he's her best friend!

Not anymore said a tiny voice in her head. "I'll... I'll leave now." She said, her voice cracking a bit. She brushed past him, sniffling and rubbing her nose. Liv and Scar were already waiting by the turnstiles with her book bag. She took it from them, mumbling thank you as she left the lair as fast as she dared to go. The more space she put between her and the lair, the better she'd feel.

— — —
Donnie watched as she left, eyes narrowed angrily. They softened when she turned the corner, though. It was on accident. She didn't mean to knock over his experiment. Even if it did take him a long time to make, he could always fix it. But the words he said to Hannah, that couldn't be fixed. And he knew it.