~6~

Bright rays of light danced around the room, causing me to groan in annoyance and pull the covers over my eyes. After a few seconds, I pried open my eye lids to get a glimpse of my surroundings. No prince, no maids, good.

I sat myself up in bed and drearily rubbed my eyes. My eyes shot to the source of light that caused me to wake up, which came from the curtains, where beams of light managed to push their way through the cracks of the heavy fabric.

I decided there was no point in trying to escape at the moment, so I slipped out of bed and made my way to the windows. I slid open the curtains to reveal the glowing sun which illuminated my room. I hissed at the light then lightly laughed at my own childishness.

I looked around the room and decided that I might as well get used to my new home. I began to walk around the room, admiring all the different things made of gold and silver, and well, other luxuries commoners like me have never seen before.

I soon stood in front of two large doors, like the doors to this room, only smaller. My curiosity raged and I slowly and carefully opened the doors. Inside is the same light as there is in my room, so I figured there was a window somewhere.

I had nearly opened the door all the way, when suddenly something darted through my feet. I jumped startled at the sudden movement and whirled around to see what had slipped past me. To my surprise, there was a small mouse just five paces away from me. The tiny creature cocked it's head to the side, looking at me in confusion. I stared back, and brought my hand up for a weak wave. The mouse quickly scurried away, into what I assumed was another burrow traveling throughout the castle.

I slowly pulled my hand back and silently cursed myself. This isn't some kind of fairytale, (Y/N), you don't belong here.

I turn my attention back to the doors which are almost fully opened. I take in a breath of air and with a final pull of force I open the doors. I slowly step into the dimly lit room. I glance to my left and right, checking for anything that might be considered a threat. Once I see there's nothing to be afraid of, I release the breath I barely noticed I was holding in.

I studied the room, it was small and narrow, and felt more like a closet, but without the clothing. Instead crates of things were littered throughout the shelves.

Walking past a particular shelf, I noticed a small figurine, much like one that would be in a children's room. I picked up the miniature glass figure and examined it closely. The object appeared to be a horse, and when I looked behind it, I saw more figurines in the shelf.

    Is this room for a child? I thought to myself. Maybe the last queen was expecting, or maybe these were just never used, or maybe they're being stored for later?

Many answers and ideas racked my brain as I thought of every possible scenario. I decided to give it a rest and I placed the glass creature down.

I looked around the rest of the room, seeing nothing but boxes, until something caught my eye. I saw light reflect off of something on the ground as I walked passed it. I returned to my spot and knelt down feeling the metal which was close to rusting. I had to use all my strength to push the crate out of the way until I could see what the object really was. A hinge.

I began pushing the crate further and further with every last bit of strength I had. I flopped into a sitting position once I had successfully moved it out of the way.

I inched closer to the wooden trapdoor and looked around for a handle. The door itself looked like it could fit a person through it once it was opened, and I decided to test my theory. I grabbed a hold of a flimsy metal rod connected to the wood. I hesitated at first then slowly and steadily I inched it open.

Inside I couldn't see anything but darkness, and a draft made its way to my exposed skin causing me to shiver. The door was hard enough for me to hold, and my strength was already weakened from pushing the box. I let go of the handle letting the door thud back into place. This time I'm opening it all the way... I thought as I wiped off my hands to prepare for my second attempt.

Just as my fingertips swept across the handle, I heard a tapping noise interrupt my silent struggling. The noise grew louder as I began to connect the dots in my head. Someone's coming!

I ran out of the closet and grabbed the doors, but just as I did so I heard a faint knock on the door, as a voice followed.

     "(Y/N) Dear, it's me, Adrian," he spoke softly, expecting me to be still asleep. I began to slowly close the doors to the closet, but to my luck, one of them let out a high pitched squeak.

    "(Y/N), are you awake? I'm coming in," he said without delay as he turned the handle. I shut the closet doors as fast as I could and bolted for the bed and dove into the covers.

"(Y/N)? What was that?"He asked in a calm manner. "What do you mean?" I replied, but I buried my face in my pillow to avoid him seeing my guilty look.

     "Hm, I could've sworn I heard noises in here, tell me (Y/N), what was all that noise?" He asked again. He must've noticed how tense I was, for he placed a hand on my back and lightly comforted me, but it didn't help much.

I sighed, knowing he wouldn't take 'nothing' for and answer.

     "I was using the restroom, and I got scared by the sound of your footsteps and I ran back to bed..." I answered moving my head out from under the pillow, but away from his view.

"See that wasn't so hard, if you're going to be my betrothed then we need to be honest with each other, shall we?" He lectured.

"Speaking of..." He started and changed his posture so he was facing me. I felt out of place, and frankly embarrassed that I couldn't even look my new 'fiancée' in the eyes. I pulled myself up into a sitting position and leaned back against the bed's headboard. Our eyes locked for a second, but I immediately looked back down at the white sheets.

     "I was meaning to talk to you about... you're new life here." Adrian piped breaking the tension.

"What about it...?" I asked a bit confused.

   "Well..." He started, obviously uncertain about his question. "Since you'll be staying here from now on, I was wondering if there was anything you would like for me to bring from your home. By that I mean anything that would make your stay here more comfortable."

I sure wasn't expecting that... I thought. I looked back to my house inside my mind, looking for something that I could think of I would want from my house, but I didn't think of anything dear to me.

     "If you cant think of anything just yet, you can always tell me when you make your decision," He said interrupting my concentration.

"Thanks Adrian, I'll try to think of something," I insisted. I saw his face slightly light up, and I just assumed he was happy I accepted his offer. "Thank you (Y/N), thank you."

He got up to take his leave, thought he looked hesitant at first. This is going to be boring if I'm by myself most of the time... wait, that's it!

"Adrian wait!" I exclaimed as he halted before he opened the door all the way.

    "Yes my love?" He asked gently.

    "I think... I think I've thought of one thing I would like from home," I began.

    Yes (Y/N), whatever you ask I shall grant you." He replied.

"Since I'll be here the rest of my life, I want to bring something here to help me feel at home," I said looking up at him as he hummed in response. "I would like you to offer someone a job here, to work at the palace."

"And to whom do I make this invitation out to?" He inquired. "I would like you to bring the seamstress of the village, Aki Shiro." I requested.

"Of course my dear, she will be here by tomorrow morning." He approved.