♚11♚

Bright fluorescent yellow-green fields, the beautiful transparent rivers, and the bustling town streets full of life and commotion. All of these I doubt I'll experience again, at least from anywhere except from my royal prison.

    I had come across a wide window seat and quickly took advantage of its comfort. I draped a quilt over me and just pondered out the window for what could have been an hour. I didn't feel like doing anything I needed to do today. Apparently I had dress fittings, that etiquette training, and my least favorite... dance rehearsals. It's fairly obvious which one I was putting off.

Other than enjoying the landscape view, I had also been avoiding and hiding from anyone who would apprehend me to take me to the watchful eye of the prince. Ever since I had come to the castle, life surprisingly got more difficult.

"Hey! Miss!" A guard exclaimed from a few feet away, peeking around the corner.

    I quickly bolted up from my comfortable position in the nook and prepared to book it as fast as possible. The guard looked dumbfounded by my defensive posture and cocked his head slightly in confusion.

    "Pardon me for scaring you, Miss. It's me, James," he addressed. Still unconvinced, I kept my unflinching stance.

   "What do you need?" I questioned.

    "I was sent to fetch you, there are a lot of things you need to do, starting wi-"

    "I'm not going," I cut him off rudely, though I instantly had regretted it.

    "But Miss," he sighed. "Listen, I'm understand you don't want to be here, that much is evident. There isn't anything we can do, you and I both know that there isn't really a way passed the prince without him knowing."

"Wait, why are you saying this...?" I asked suddenly suspicious.

    "No reason! I'm just, nothing. It was nothing. Now the real reason I'm here is to escort your dress fitting. Please, follow me, for the sake of both of us," he stammered quickly changing the subject.

"Fine..." I sighed giving in easily. I knew it was only his duty to make sure I was where I was supposed to be, and I didn't want him getting hurt because my stubbornness.

    I followed behind him, keeping my distance, and tracing my steps along the way. I didn't recognize any parts of the direction we were headed in, when I realized we were in a different area. Strange... I thought, The castle seems to just keep getting bigger and bigger.

    "What's that?" I puzzled, glancing at large, thick iron doors at the end of one of the hallways. "Some kind of vault?"

   "Oh, that leads to the catacombs," he stated without a second thought.

    "Catacombs...?" I questioned, recognizing the word but not knowing exactly what it meant.

   "They're... for storing wine. A wine cellar if you must. Those doors lead to stairs that travel a few stories underground. The depth keeps
the wine cold, and wine is extremely expensive and rare, so it's common for it to be stored in such a manner," he explained thoroughly.

"Oh..." I mumbled aloud, "Thats pretty neat."

"Anyways, please follow me, we'll be there shortly." He beckoned.