♚ 16 ♚

"So... what made you become a guard here in the first place?" I questioned, beginning my interrogation with James. I was rather curious, but I mostly just wanted to build the conversation up to a point where I could ask about the prince's motives.

    "Well, my family always wanted me to work on the castle. I was told it was the honorable thing to do, but I knew it was only because my family was struggling financially. So I began training with my siblings," He responded.

    "Siblings? How many did you have?" I asked curiously.

    "Eight, and I'm the middle child. It had gotten quite crowded sometimes," he chuckled.

    "Eight? I can't even imagine what that's like! I'm an only child, well as far as I know. My parents... they left when I was young," I sadly stated.

"I am so sorry, I can't imagine how terrible that must be for you..." he replied sorrowfully.

"It's fine, I don't remember much about them, surprisingly," I assured. "So uh, you must have been working here for a very long time!" I tried to change the subject.

    "Heh, yeah I have. You'd be surprised how many different corridors and hallways there are in this place, sometimes secret doors. I've explored all of them by now I'm sure. I'm sure you've found a few by now. This castle is old." He rambled.

    "Really? Well, I've only found one. There's a trapdoor in the closet, I'm not sure where it leads though, do you?" I asked curiously.

     "Wait, there's a trapdoor where?" He questioned confused.

   "Hold on, you didn't know about that one?"

    "I'm afraid not, where is it?" He asked.

    "Just over there, in the closet..." I directed, unsure whether or not I should regret telling him about my discovery, and possible escape.

He silently and slowly got up from his seat, keeping his gaze steadily on the closet door.

"Do you mind if I see it...?" He queried, his eyes unwavering, still staring down the door.

"No... No, not at all... go ahead," I assured, though I was really upset for saying anything about it in the first place.

Without a moment of hesitation, he stalked his way to the door frame, as if nervous about what he was going to find lurking behind them. He grabbed a hold of the handle, before taking in a deep breath of preparation. Finally, he swung open the door.

    Inside the room it was the same as I had left it, still littered with childish trinkets, and wooden crates galore. James' face is what surprised me the most, an expression of disbelief and astonishment.

    "Is...is something wrong?" I wondered aloud, but his expression hadn't changed.

    "No... it's just unexpected. It's so odd to find such strange things in a guest's room. Though it is expected of a room that hasn't been used in a while, it is quite peculiar..." He trailed off, beginning to keep the rest of his thoughts inside his head. "So... where is this trapdoor you had mentioned?"

"Ah, it's just over here," I began, pulling myself up and walking in the direction of the closet. I strutted in front of him, pointing down to the floor below me, under the crate that was over it originally. "This is the spot..."

    Without another word, he pulled away the box, revealing the trapdoor I had seen all those nights ago. I sighed in relief, as if I was nervous it would have disappeared, somehow.

    "So... do you know where it leads?" I asked.

    "...No. I've never seen this one before," he answered honestly, from what I could tell.

    He stared at the door for moments, I couldn't tell what he was thinking. As badly as I wanted to know, I didn't interrupt his thoughts.

    "(Y/N)... don't go down there, alright?" He asked finally. "I'm not sure what I should to with it, maybe notify the prince to have it removed."

    "Removed? But don't you think we should see where it leads before it comes to that?" I insisted.

    "I don't think so... it might be dangerous. The Prince would have my head if he found out I knew about it and didn't bother mentioning it to him," he replied worriedly.

So he didn't know about it... maybe even Adrian doesn't know...

"Can we... keep this our little secret?" I asked hesitantly.

"Oh, (Y/N) I don't-"

"Please, hear me out. I... I won't go through it, as long as he doesn't find out. Can we please not let anyone else know about it?" I pleaded.

"Okay....Just don't go through it until we know where it leads to. Deal?" James sighed, agreeing to keep this matter a secret.

"Thank you... Thank you..." I sighed in relief.

James grabbed the crate again, sliding it over the trapdoor to its original place. It looked like everything had gone back to normal.

I left the closet without another word, waiting patiently until soon James followed out after. Neither of us spoke for a moment, still unsure of how to approach the situation. James spoke first.

    "...Thank you for bringing this to my attention... I will not notify the prince about this, unless it becomes a hazard, just promise me you'll never go through that door."

    "Thank you James, I promise,"

There was another moment of silence before either of us spoke, when we both started at the same time.

"So..." I began, as he also was beginning his sentence. We both laughed awkwardly in unison. If awkwardness were an ocean, we were drowning in it.

He cleared his throat, "So, you were saying?"

"Oh, I wasn't saying anything, heh, I insist you first," I replied.

"I was uhm... I was just going to take my leave is all, I'm sure a guard is needed somewhere at the moment..." James fidgeted slightly, hesitantly motioning to the door.

"Do you have to leave...?" I asked before I could comprehend what I was saying. As if it wasn't awkward enough, it felt as if it were about to burst out through the doors now.

"Oh! I mean, I'm sorry, it's your responsibility to protect the castle, go ahead, I won't keep you here," I quickly apologized, rubbing the back of my neck.

    He nodded slightly. "It's alright, though I do have to check in with the prince and make sure everything is alright. I'll send someone to notify you when the situation has cleared up somewhat. I'm sorry I must leave now. Take care (Y/N)!" He explained before opening I door and leaving before I had a chance to bid him farewell. Before the door closed behind him I felt a cool draft just barely seep through. Awkward.

I walked backwards slumping back on to the bed, to laying down. Ugh, that was so weird...

    After a few minutes had gone by, which felt like forever, I began to grow suddenly uneasy. At that moment, I heard a faint knock at the door.

(and that faint knock was... ME UPDATING!
NOT ON TIME, AND AFTER WHAT, 13 WEEKs?! I am so sorry I haven't written! It's been really stressful recently! I don't even know when I'll update next, I have soooo many ideas for what could happen next, but I'm still trying to pin point what I should do. Thank you so much for the amazing support! I really don't deserve you guys😅 )

This chapter is basically just a filler, sorta kinda, it'll make sense in the future...

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EXPRESS YOUR THOUGHTS! Like what you want to happen next or what ideas you have. It helps, really. I love hearing from my lovely readers.

Alrighty! that's it for now I think... I love you all so much! take care!❤️

(Oh yeah also this is unedited, so I apologize for any errors!~)