♚12♚

"Huh? Aki, what are you doing here?" I asked very confused.

    She shushed me quietly, trying to avoid drawing any attention to ourselves, though the halls seemed completely vacant at the hour.

    "Listen, I don't have much time to explain..." she whispered. "But something isn't right with this castle."

    "What do you m-" I started but she cut me off by turning my head towards the other side of the hallway.

    "Look," was all she commanded. "I don't know how neither of us have figured this out yet."

    "A family portrait? I don't underst-" I tried to piece together what she was getting at until she cut me off again.

    "Look closer, not just the picture, the family. Well, I mean not about the family itself, I haven't figured that part out yet... but I mean assuming it's the royal family," She implied.

I studied the framed image closely, beginning to understand what Aki was attempting to tell me. The stage was set with the King and Queen, with the hand of the king draped on his sons side. From the looks of it, the son was a younger version of Adrian. Aside from the King, Queen, and Prince, I noticed another figure in the picture.

    "You get it now?" Aki asked startling me.

    "Uh, there's someone else in the portrait?" I replied thinking that was all she wanted me to realize.

    "Ugh, no. (Y/N), do you question nothing?" She scoffed.

    "Fine! Tell me what you mean then!" I shouted in a whisper.

    "Well, somehow you didn't think about this before, but tell me this, where is the family?" Aki asked.

    "Huh? I don't know, maybe another kingdom? A Royal business trip?" I guessed.

    She blinked at me, staring for a moment. "So you've never been suspicious that this castle is solely being run by a young prince?" She implied, looking disappointed. "You're telling me you haven't questioned at least that?"

    "Well if you're so knowledgeable on what's going on? Why didn't you tell me? You've been hiding you're suspicion the whole time? Who told you this?" I demanded, pelting her with questions, keeping my own plans close to my chest.

"N-No one told me, I've had to hide it from the other servants, like that guard for example," she explained, but I saw through her excuse.

"Someone told you, didn't they? The masked man right?"

"How did you-"

"He met with me only a few nights ago. It was pretty unexpected, but what did he tell you?" I asked, beginning to wonder if Aki was also quickly pulled into a room and almost given a heart attack. He really needs to work on how he grabs the attention of an unsuspecting victim.

    "Yeah, he was pretty straight forward. He met me in my room and gave me this warning," she briefly reminisced.

     "Well aren't you lucky," I mumbled just soft enough so she didn't hear. I waved it off immediately when I saw the confusion written on her face.

"I'm just warning you, (Y/N), not everything is adding up. I know I've only known you got a short time, but I'm worried. Nothing is piecing together." She rambled with a tone of worry.

"Thank you for bringing this to my attention Aki, I'll see if I can bring this up with the prince," I assured.

"NO! I mean, are you sure that's a good idea? He'll fire me, or, or he'll be angry with you!" She spoke panic stricken.

"Alright, alright. I won't say anything, but I do have one question. What did that masked man say his name was?" I queried.

"...No, he didn't. I'm assuming he didn't tell you either, did he?" She reflected, considering I was asking her.

    "No... there are strange things happening around this castle..." I implored.

    "What do you suppose we do?" She asked hesitantly.

    "Well, considering were stuck inside these walls, and all exits are completely sealed, we have no choice but to stay here, until we figure out what's going on," I decided.

"Okay (Y/N), I trust you, just please, please don't get into any trouble," she pleaded.

    "I'll try not to, don't worry Aki, we'll be fine," I reassured.

    "Alright... Okay," she sighed, releasing a breath of air attempting to cool herself down. I didn't know why, but I felt the need to give her a hug, so I pulled her into my arms. She was stunned at first, but soon hugged me back.

"Thank you, (Y/N), for everything," she smiled gratefully.

I glanced down the hall, scanning each direction for anyone who might've heard our conversation.

"It's clear, we should probably head to our own chambers, I don't want either of us to get in more trouble than we need to," I stated.

"You're right, be careful. I'll see you tomorrow, M'lady," she giggled softly, faintly lifting the mood. I laughed quietly, appreciating the lighthearted moment even after our discernment.

"Farewell Aki," I smiled.

"Godspeed, (Y/N),"

~♛~

   Once we parted our separate ways for the night, I began to ponder her warnings. All of which stood true, but I was mostly bugged with the family. Who are they if they aren't here?

I tip toed as quietly as I could down the large hallways, trying to avoid making even the slightest of sound. Unfortunately a few taps escaped as I quickened my pace, then I silently cursed myself for not paying close enough attention.

Once my room was in sight, I had to stop myself from jumping with joy. I fell back into my stealth mode, realizing I was directly in front of the prince's room. I shuffled passed as quiet as possible until I soon came across my front door. I twisted the handle, but to my surprise the door had already been opened.

I pulled the rest of the door open and cautiously stepped into my room. I slowly shut the door behind me, I don't know why, but it gave me some sense of security knowing I was having a one on one talk with whoever decided to sneak into my room. I half expected Adrian to be in another corner of my room, waiting to scold me for being out late, but he didn't appear to be anywhere.

I walked a few paces into the room, searching for a sign of a visitor, when I saw one of the curtains sway from the corner of my vision.

  ♞