♚ 14 ♚

Two chapters out two days in a row, just for you guys ;3 also because I've been on a month hiatus and I'm just really inconsistent. Enjoy!

  "W-What?" I asked, confused out of my mind. My original thought was that I would be stunned, or emotionally traumatized, but I felt quite the opposite. I never really knew my parents, they were like distant memories of a forgotten past that I never really gave to many thoughts to, and I felt bad about it.

    "I know it's a lot to take in..." he began.

    "That's impossible, I barely even remember my parents, I don't even know their names. How would you know anything about them?" I angrily demanded answers, raising my voice.

    "(Y/N)?" A quiet voice down the hall, outside of my door spoke with hesitation. I looked at the masked man with horror, as he exchanged an equally alarmed expression. I glanced at the door which the footsteps were growing closer to, when out of my peripheral vision I noticed a flash of black, which I then realized was the masked man fleeing into the closet.

    "(Y/N)...? Are you still awake?" A familiar voice enraptured me. I couldn't move, and I didn't know if it was out of fear, or of mesmerization.

    The door handle shifted, and I stiffened in my posture, afraid I was caught in the act.

    Adrian peered inside the room, when our eyes locked together. I didn't dare move, I knew I was caught. Panic-stricken, I felt my breath quicken at the thought of how much trouble I had just put myself into.

    "You're... still awake. At this hour? Is everything alright my love? I heard you speaking with someone..." He questions, suspicious of my actions.

    I stayed silent, shutting my eyes, breathing deeply as an attempt to calm myself. When I reopened my eyes, Adrian was only a few feet away from me. The sudden movement caused me to jump. Startled, I stepped back, nearly losing my footing before regaining my balance.

   "What happened?" Adrian asked worriedly.

   "N-Nothing happened, I've just been, thinking out loud. To myself... Alone." I excused.

   Adrian sauntered over to me, carefully holding onto my arm, and leading me to sit on my bed. He grabbed onto my shoulders and knelt down in front of me.

"(Y/N), you know you can tell me anything, right?" He spoke softly.

His sudden act of gentleness and kindness was spellbinding, and I sat speechless as before. All I could do was stare into his soft expression.

    "I know everything is weird for you right now, and you're not sure what to believe of me, or this castle. You're also probably wondering what made me chose you to be my bride as well, and I'm not sure how I should put it into words. The truth is, seeing you at that ball made me realize there was so much I didn't know about you, and perhaps that is the reason I chose you. You're so unlike everyone else, and your beauty is enthralling, I can't quite name it," he rambled. As if I had not been stunned before, I was sure to be now.

    "I didn't expect you to be so open with me in the first place, perhaps it was wishful thinking to believe you would love me right away. I will be patient with you, and no matter what I'm always, always here for you. If something is going on, you can tell me, and I will not me angry with you. I love you, (Y/N), and I know your heart just needs time. Just remember the people who love you won't betray you." Adrian concluded, pulling me into a gentle hug.

    I was so shocked by the sudden affection, I didn't hug back right away, but returned one not wanting to be rude. I wasn't sure why he was telling me these things, especially at such unexpected timing. When I was first announced a bride to the Prince of the kingdom, I wanted nothing to do with the responsibility. Now that I have seen his kindness, I wasn't sure if I wanted to leave, no one had ever been this way to me before.