Chapter 3- The New Professor

King's Cross stood before us in all of it's elegance as we loaded our trunks onto trolleys. The Ministry workers bid Mr Weasley goodbye, before we headed inside to get to the platform. A large clock overhead told us we only had ten minutes until the train departed.

"Go in pairs! We are late, like usual! Come on, let's go!" Mrs Weasley shouted.

That had been my fault. We'd gotten into the ministry cars and had already left when I'd realized I forgot something back at The Leaky Cauldron. I would have just left it, but it was my picture of my parents that I left by my bedside.

Mr Weasley and Harry went first, leaning casually against the barrier before falling through. I went next with Fred. I pushed him roughly through, strolling in right behind him. In seconds we were all on the platform.

"Ah, there's Penelope," Percy said, smoothing his hair and pushing his horn rimmed glasses further up his nose.

I couldn't contain my laughter as Percy puffed out his chest much like a pigeon did. He straightened his Head Boy badge (which he didn't notice Fred and George had changed to say 'Big Boy' now), and strutted, much like Corvus did, to Penelope.

"Harry, Lily, could I speak to you a moment?" Mr Weasley asked, ensuring that Mrs Weasley was busy fussing over Ginny.

We ducked behind a pillar as Mrs Weasley began tearfully hugging her children goodbye as they flocked onto the train. I watched as Sydney, Hermione, and Ron gave us a quick glance. I waved them off.

"You must be very scared-"

"We're not," Harry said quickly, offering a reassuring smile to Mr Weasley. "Really."

"Yeah," I actually chuckled slightly. "I mean, Black can't be worse than Voldemort."

Mr Weasley flinched at the name. "Look, I need you both to give me your word-"

"We'll both be good little students and stay in the castle," I said. "We haven't even our forms signed anyway."

"No, no. Promise me you wont go looking for Black. I know you both have a knack for trouble, and Lily I know you pride yourself on being quite the little detective-"

"Mr Weasley, this is quite different. We would never go looking for someone who wants to kill us. Especially the first ever man to escape Azkaban. I'm no Auror."

"Arthur!" Mrs Weasley screeched suddenly.

The train had begun to move, and Ron and Sydney had their heads sticking out the carriage doors. With speed gained during our spats with Dudley Dursley, Harry and I took off for the train, jumping in the doors. I saluted Mr Weasley, hoping he'd understand that I'd heeded his warning.

Harry whispered in Ron's ear about wanting to talk to them about Sirius Black. He glanced pointedly at Ginny.

"Go away, Ginny," Ron said.

Ginny rolled her eyes, muttering a sarcastic comment under her breath. She went off to find the other second years. Harry led us through the train. Finding no empty carriages, we decided on one that had a sleeping adult. I thought that strange, for I'd never seen any adults besides the old witch who pushed the trolley.

The mans face was turned away from us, pressed gently to the window. His tattered old robes were being held tight around him. His light brown hair was flecked with grey, the only indication to his age. He shivered violently.

"Who d'you reckon this is?" Ron said quietly, taking a seat opposite the man.

"Professor R.J. Lupin," Hermione said, looking up. I followed her gaze to the briefcase on the racks above us, clearly printed with the name. "Likely the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."