Chapter 4- Let the Classes Begin

Classes began the next day, much to my disappointment. The previous year we'd had a day to settle in, having arrived on a Saturday, but this year we weren't so lucky as to have that. So immediately upon awakening, we got ready and headed down to the Great Hall for an early breakfast. I headed straight for the Gryffindor table, not so eager to sit anywhere near Bertram and his goons, who seemed to be having the time of their lives.

Goyle had just performed a very dramatic swoon, before falling to the floor with an arm over his forehead. Meanwhile, Bertram jumped up and pulled his wand from his pocket, aiming it at Crabbe and Parkinson, who both fell 'dead' at the end of it. I only rolled my eyes and sat with my back to them. Harry sat across from me, his eyes following their every move.

"Let it go, Harry," I said, grabbing a waffle from the table. "They're not worth it."

Harry didn't seem to think that so easy. Even as the Weasley's took their places around us, he watched the performance going on behind me. I finally turned around and chucked my half eaten waffle across the hall, where it hit its mark on the back of Bertram's head. He whirled around and glared at me. I snickered, calling a few profanities across the hall. Bertram's head whipped every which way to check if a Professor or Prefect was within hearing range. 

I turned back to the Gryffindor table, only to be met with Fred and George's wide smirks. I grinned back and opted for some toast and bacon, having lost my breakfast to Bertram's now sticky hair. It was all too soon before we all received our schedules and were off to classes. Thankfully, we had many classes with the Gryffindors once again. First up was divination. 

"Which room is it?" Harry asked Sydney, who'd given in to her mother and taken divination like she'd been asked to. Sydney grabbed her crumpled schedule from her robes pocket.

"The divination room in the North Tower."

I groaned aloud. That was all the way across the castle, and nearly as high up as you could get. It'd take ten minutes to get from the Great Hall all the way to the top of the North Tower! Fred snickered beside me as I let my forehead hit the table.

So, ten minutes early (in which we'd probably be late anyway), we set off in search for the Divination classroom. Even having been here for two years, none of us knew where the classroom was. As we were climbing up our seventh staircase, panting and groaning, Ron finally whirled around to face Sydney and I.

"You guys are out exploring nearly night after curfew! Do you know where we're going?"

"Ah, yes. See, Ron, what we like to do for enjoyment, is climb every staircase in Hogwarts! We take pleasure in seeking out classrooms, not secret passageways," Sydney rolled her eyes along with her sarcastic words.

Ron didn't answer as we finally reached the landing. It was unfamiliar and quiet. We glanced around for a moment, as if hoping a sign would appear to lead us straight to the North Tower. What we got was much better.

Just as Hermione had gone to speak, a grey pony entered the single painting on the landing. As it stopped to graze in the fields, a squat little knight, clanking loudly, ran in behind it. Judging by the grass stains on his knees, he'd fallen off the thing a few paintings back. It took him no time at all to notice us standing around.

"Aha! What villans are these that trespass upon my private lands? Come to scorn at my fall, perchance? Draw, you knaves, you dogs!"

I chuckled quietly. The knight had ripped his sword from it's sheath, and was waving it every which way, challenging us all to a duel. Once he swung it far too hard and threw himself off balance, falling to the grassy floor. The pony only glanced at him once, before turning back to the far more interesting activity of its grazing.