Chapter 9- Slytherin vs. Gryffindor

For the next few days, all the talk in the castle was about Sirius Black. Even the Quidditch game had been forgotten about by near everyone except the teams. It was in only three days, and the Slytherins and I were training near as hard as the Gryffindors. The school quidditch game wasn't the only thing on my mind, however.

"Lily!" Sydney shouted from behind me. I turned to face her sprinting up the corridor toward me. "I know that our Quidditch game is soon, and I swear I'm focused, but... The Montrose Magpies! I mean, it's only a week away! D'you have your things ready? What're you wearing? You have your ticket, right? You can't have lost it! Is Harry ready? Does-"

"Sydney!" I breathed exasperatedly. "Relax! Harry and I are both ready. We have our tickets. We're wearing the Magpies robes we bought in Diagon Alley before the school year began. Is that all?"

Sydney took a deep breath. "I guess."

"Thank you."

I continued my trek to the Gryffindor common room where I was meeting Hermione so that she could help me with (or preferably do) my arithmancy homework. I was hoping for a quiet walk after a hectic day, but that never seemed to be the case around Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. As soon as Sydney had left, someone else took her place.

"Hullo, Lily. Lovely day, don't you think?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Weather's dreadful. I've got practice in that rainstorm."

Percy's neck reddened. He cleared his throat and took a moment. I suspected he was looking for a way to redeem himself now, so I broke the silence to try and save him from having to (though flustered Percy was always quite an enjoyable sight).

"You don't have to follow me, you know," I grinned. "I know your mother has probably instructed you to protect me from Sirius Black, but I'm fine."

"I- I assure you that I am doing nothing of the sort. We are simply headed in the same direction, is all."

I simply chuckled and let him follow me, allowing him to start up conversation on the author of a new wizarding book release. We neared the common room quite quickly (by which point we were speaking of Gilderoy Lockhart's publicly being outed as a fraud). It was only after Sir Cadogan finally let us pass that he let me go off on my own.

Thankfully, after telling Hermione of my very busy schedule of Quidditch, detention, and preparation for the Magpies game, she let me copy her homework. She handed me her paper, only somewhat reluctantly, and I traded her for my essay. I sat down with it in front of me. Ron wasn't overjoyed when he saw the sight of this.

"Come on, Hermione! You never let me copy your homework!"

"Oh, hush, Ronald," Hermione said, not taking her eyes away from where she was reading over my Charms essay for me. "Lily has a busy schedule tonight. Plus, she is much nicer about it."

To prove her point, I handed her paper back to her, having finished copying her tidy scrawl and offering a wide grin. "Thank you, Hermione. I owe you one. Let me know when you want to take me up on it."

"Of course," she giggled. "Here's your essay. It's brilliant, really. You really do very well when you do your work, Lily. I'd only suggest you put your name on it?"

I blushed, taking my essay back and putting my name on the corner, mumbling another thank you.

I wasn't able to stay long after that, and was soon bidding goodbye to Hermione and the Weasleys, before leaving the Gryffindor common room quickly before Percy could try and escort me to the pitch.

I found it was harder than that to escape having a personal bodyguard, though. It was not even twenty steps away from the common room when someone else found an excuse to talk to me. I sighed as my new guardian from Sirius Black fell into step beside me. She heard, and 'hmphed' sharply.