Chapter 5- Boggarts and Beaters

I didn't bother to pay Corvus Bertram even a second glance when he strutted into potions that Thursday. His arm was obviously perfectly fine beneath the bandages and the sling he wore. I sat a table away from him, but Harry and Ron weren't so lucky; Bertram had decided to set up on their table as well.

I sat with my back to them, focusing instead on the Shrinking Solution Snape had assigned. It was quite hard to ignore Bertram's moaning and groaning about his arm, however. He'd even had Ron and Harry prepare his ingredients for him. I heard Ron mumbling angrily behind me.

I added my skinned shrivelfig to my own potion as Seamus Finnegan ran up to Harry and Ron's table behind me, ducking down beside Harry so as not to be noticed by Snape. Harry jumped slightly in surprise, alerting Bertram, who surprisingly stayed quiet.

"He's been spotted- Sirius Black has been spotted," Seamus hissed, catching even Corvus by surprise judging by his expression.

"What, where?" I whispered, whipping around with Sydney to face them.

"Not too far from here, by a muggle. She didn't know just who she was seeing, course. Muggles think he's just got a gun. Don't know just how dangerous he is, do they? By the time the Ministry arrived, he was long gone."

"What do you want, Bertram?" Sydney said suddenly.

We all looked up to Corvus smirking, his potion completely forgotten about. His eyes were shining maliciously. He leaned forward, eager to hiss without being overheard by Snape, who had yet to glance over at what was going on.

"Thinking of trying to catch Black single handed?" His smirk grew. "Remember what happened to you last time you tried to play hero, Potter? You went and got yourself petrified."

"Shove off, Bertram," I rolled my eyes.

"I'm just saying. If it were me-"

"Well it's not, Corvus, so shove off," I sneered. "And don't try and pull anything with Snape. Don't forget I'm a Slytherin too."

Corvus' wicked grin dropped as if I'd just foiled his plan. His eyes dropped back to his cauldron and he stirred angrily. Seamus went back to his own table with Dean Thomas, and I turned back to mine. In only a few minutes, we were all told to leave our potions to simmer. It wasn't long before potions had ended, and we were off to Defence Against the Dark Arts.

Sydney, nervous as could be, was chatting my ear off about tryouts the next day. So far there were nineteen people who'd signed up to attend the tryout, all of last year's team that hadn't graduated were on the list. I did my best to ignore Sydney, who was repeating things she'd already told me today.

I got a seat beside Emily Gould, letting Sydney sit with Draco to complain to him. He eyed me pleadingly, but I did my very best to keep my eyes from meeting his grey ones as I took my textbooks from my bag and dropped them loudly on my desk.

"What, I'm only your backup friend," Emily teased as I sighed in relief.

"I think 'friend' is going a bit far," I retorted with a smirk.

My relationship with Emily mostly consisted of us constantly bickering and bullying each other. It was all friendly of course, but if anyone asked either of that we'd adamantly deny it before shooting another insult at the other.

"I am truly, truly, hurt," Emily gasped, putting her hand over her chest.

"I can tell by the way your hand is on the side opposite your heart."

"Only a loser would know that. I'm not friends with losers," Emily scoffed.

"I didn't need your friendship anyway."