Chapter 10- The Magpies vs The Bats

I didn't say a word in the cool office. Snape beckoned me into a seat, but I didn't move from my place. He sighed, taking his own seat across his desk. He seemed to be waiting for me to speak first, which I didn't plan on doing, and so it stayed quiet for a long while. I wanted only to go back to the common room.

"I would like to explain myself," he finally said.

I didn't move an inch. I kept my face stone cold, an expression I copied from the potions master himself. he sighed, breaking eye contact finally and shifted in his chair. Still I made no move to do anything.

"The assignment... It wasn't solely because of Lupin."

I scoffed, folding my arms across my chest. I still said nothing, however, and waited for him to continue. He did.

"I didn't know that you knew."

It was these words that infuriated me most. I didn't refrain from letting red streak my hair. With scarlet eyes, I glanced at the potions master, who wasn't speaking now, but was watching my anger flow into my physical appearance. Finally, I broke my own silence, taking a step back toward the door as I did so.

"So what? What does it matter if I knew or not?" I laughed humourlessly. "The only reason you'd be respectful toward Remus is if I were around to know? But you can go and do things like that if I don't know?"

"Lily, I never meant to offend you."

"I really don't care, Snape. You know, you can be insolent as you like, now. Don't worry about offending me. You can read your papers on ways to kill Remus."

I took another step back, getting closer to the door. The distance between Snape and I was growing, both physically and figuratively. He and I both seemed to know that. Before I could reach the door, he spoke again.

"I didn't mean-"

"Please," I rolled my eyes. "Please don't say you didn't mean it. I'm sure you did. See, I realized something. My father was a great man. He respected that you and my mother were friends. You and he loathed each other- John has told me stories. But when my mother, a friend of yours, wanted you to be my godfather, he put those grievances aside."

"I-"

I took one final step back. From where I stood now, I could reach the door handle. I took a deep breath, and, with black hair and hazel eyes, began to speak once more.

"Maybe you couldn't handle that kind of change. Maybe you couldn't put aside any grievances for someone you care about. I don't know."

I finally stepped back through the doorway, closing it behind me and leaving the area. I didn't hesitate before letting my feet carry me away from Snape's door and to my own room. I collapsed on my bed and closed my eyes, exhausted after a long day.

*

Monday came around quick. Harry was finally out of the hospital wing, which meant I was finally free from it as well. Sydney was restless as ever, excited for the Magpies game that was to take place in only a few days. I managed to keep my cool.

Classes went by smoothly. As always, Trelawney looked quite relieved when Harry walked in still alive, and, as always, Sydney and I made up everything we wrote down. Hermione seemed to be getting used to it, for she'd only roll her eyes and move on.

Charms class went by without a hitch, Flitwick congratulated Sydney and I on our win from Saturday, and then we'd all sat and practised a new spell we were to be learning. Soon enough we were off to Herbology with the Ravenclaws, where we potted some potions ingredients for the seventh years to use next month.