Chapter 11- The Story Within the Story

It was only a few weeks before the end of term, and the Christmas break was quick approaching. I couldn't wait. Christmas at Hogwarts was my favourite time of year. But before school let out for the break, there was one more Hogsmeade trip. This time, I didn't plan on sitting it out. For this trip, I planned to go along with all the other students to Hogsmeade, without getting found out, of course. All I required was the invisibility cloak, and some help from Lee Jordan and Peeves.

I needed to get out to do some Christmas shopping. As I did every year, I planned to get presents for each of my closest friends, and one for Remus, of course. Sydney had already placed an undetectable extension charm on my bag. They were her specialty. Her mother had taught them to her when she was a kid so she could carry her Quidditch things around with her. Sydney had always been an avid Quidditch player.

My plan to get to Hogsmeade, I thought, was brilliant, simple, and absolutely flawless. Harry and I would go under the invisibility cloak and go to the Entrance Hall. We'd signal Lee, who, along with Peeves, would cause some big distraction to get McGonagall out of the doorway only long enough for Harry and I to get through.

When I put the plan into action, however, it didn't go as I had planned. We arrived in the Entrance Hall under the invisibility cloak, and Lee had lured out McGonagall, but the crowd spilling out the doors was far too big for Harry and I to sneak through without bumping into anyone. If we bumped the wrong person and got caught with the cloak, it could've been confiscated. We turned back and removed the invisibility cloak, thanking Lee for trying.

I'd accepted that Harry and I were stuck in the castle, and sulked down a corridor someplace near the dungeons. I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to find identical Weasleys, both grinning from ear to ear. I frowned.

"Aren't you two going to Hogsmeade?" I asked as they practically dragged us by our robes into an empty classroom. "What's going on with you two?"

"You both looked down, and Lily you promised me a butterbeer at The Three Broomsticks. You haven't been since first year."

"We couldn't get past McGonagall," I shrugged it off, acting causal about the situation.

Of course, Fred and George gave each other a look and rolled their eyes. I huffed, but knew that they had just caught me sulking through the castle. I crossed my arms and motioned for them to get on with whatever they had planned this time.

"Well, we've brought you an early Christmas Present, then," George said. He held out a blank sheet of parchment.

When Harry took it from him, two very different expressions formed on our faces. While Harry's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, my jaw nearly dropped to the floor. I snatched the parchment from his hands, admiring it thoroughly. Harry peered over my shoulder, but grumbled when he discovered nothing.

"What's that?" He asked after a moment.

"It's called the Marauder's Map," I said. "They showed it to me last year. It's marvellous."

"It's blank."

George pulled out his wand and pressed it against the parchment. "I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good."

At the words, ink crawled across the parchment to form the familiar words:

Messrs Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs

Purveyors of Aids to Magical Mischief-Makers

are proud to present

THE MARAUDER'S MAP

Harry didn't say anything, but scanned it with his eyes. I watched his face contort into a look of wonder, and I grinned. I couldn't resist taking a look as well. I found first Filch moving down a second floor corridor, and then Flitwick in his office. Amusingly, Professor Vector was in the kitchens.