→ p r o l o g u e

“I'm going to miss you so much, Jon. I don't think we've ever gone two whole months without seeing each other.” She says into his chest whilst hugging him.

Laughing, he replies, “Come on, Danny. I'm going to call every day. To hell with the time difference.”

Promise?  Because I'm definitely going to wake up, even if it's at 3 am! ”

He laughs at that. “Promise.”

“Jon! Mom says we need to get checked in like right now because our flight's due soon. Hi, Danny! ”

Hey, Ari!" She says to the younger girl as she finally gets to them.

“One second, Ari. ” Jon says to his sister.

He and his family were about to travel for a vacation in Nigeria,  a mountain resort/cattle ranch precisely in Obudu, Cross River State. So first, they were headed to Lagos, in Nigeria of course, then had to catch another flight to Calabar, Cross River State where they would take yet another to an Airstrip in Obudu.

That was the information he got from his parents anyway. Jon wasn't too keen on travelling by air that long but it sure seemed like fun, and from the images that popped up on Google, the scenery of the mountain resort was absolutely breathtaking.

Finally pulling away from Danny, he presses a kiss to her forehead. “I'm going to miss you. A whole lot. ” He says to her.

“Not more than I would. Take care, okay? ”

“Of course. You too. ”

“So get going. ” she says, with a teasing glint in her eyes.

He laughs yet again before saying, “I knew it. There's a replacement waiting the second I step on that plane. ”

“Ha. Ha.  Well, yeah. He's actually waiting in my car at this very moment. ” she says before rolling her eyes.

Then they both laugh. “Ari, take care of yourself, okay? ” Danny says to the younger girl who's a few feet away from them, tapping away on her phone.

“Will do, Danny. You too. Bye! ”

“You too, Jon. ”

Yes, mom. ” He responds with a goofy grin.

I am going to hurt you!” But before she could get a hold of him, he sprinted deeper into the airport, not without sending a wave her way, before blending into the mass of passengers.

※   ※   ※   ※       

“Please, calm down passengers. The pilot and his crew have everything under control! ” The air hostess screams amidst the panic.

The aircraft is shaking furiously and the air-conditioning system had stopped functioning about twenty minutes ago, the panicky state of the passengers did not help the situation at all.

To think they were just a few minutes away from landing in Lagos.

“Jon, we're going to die, aren't we?” Aria asks her brother whilst clutching his arm tightly.

“No, we're not. Not today. ” He says but didn't even believe his own words. “And I'm sure mom and dad are fine in their seats too, okay? ”

She says nothing in reply but buries her head in his lap while he tries to soothe her with his own trembling fingers.

The copilot's voice comes over the speakers again. “All on board, please try not to panic. We've experienced a partial engine failure and we assure you that we're going to try our utmost best to get you all safely on the ground. We're going to have to perform an emergency landing on a beach, right now. Please, once again try not to panic and remain se—”

His voice is cut off by a shrill noise and a loud scream some seats from some seats behind Aria and Jon, “FIRE!!  FIRE!! ”

Soon enough, everyone begins to run towards the pilots' cabin, some falling over themselves in the process amidst the erratic movements of the aircraft and the last thing Jon remembered before being plunged into a salty mass of water was the hot pang of metal against his sweaty back and screams.

Wild ones.

A/N: MORE PHOTOS OF THE MOUNTAIN RESORT BELOW ↓