→ s e p t

“... Lola and I, we're together.”

I burst out in laughter for like thirty seconds because what he just said obviously sounded really funny.

“I'm being serious.” He says lowly.

“No, you're not. Chuba, you? And my fifteen-year-old  sister?” I ask, my eyes wide with disbelief.

He nods.

“No kidding?”

“Why would I kid about something like this?” He replies irritatedly.

“Hey. Chill out.”

He sighs. “Sorry.”

After an awkward moment of silence, I ask, “How long now?”

“Almost three months.”

“Wow.” I'm honestly at a loss for words right now.

“I'm sorry, Simi. For not telling you earlier. Tried but it just felt so awkward, she's been pushing me to though. She wanted you to hear about it from me first, I don't know.”

“Why? She's my sister. She should be the one telling me this right now or wait, three months ago! This is unbelievably weird. My sister and my bestfriend?”

Chuba doesn't say anything.

“Do I even want to know how this happened?”

“Well, in summary, she really helped me through some stuff post-Vivian and — ”

“I'm your bestfriend. If you were going through stuff after your relationship with Viv ended, why didn't I know about it and then my —”

“Let's face it, Simi.” He cuts in, “You kind of cut me off while you were at Abj. I don't know if you made new friends and stuff like that because you got way too distant. You don't know how shocked I was to find out you even texted letting me know you were back even though Lola already informed me.”

I don't say anything because all he said is kind of true; but it wasn't because I found new friends or anything like that, I suck at making friends, or making the first move rather.

“I'm so sorry you felt that way, Chuba. Trust me, I wasn't distant because I found new friends or anything like that. I just suck at communicating in long-distance relationships. You're really important to me... And if being with my sis will make you happy or rather, makes you happy, then I'm fine with it, I guess.” Then I reach over and hug him and after some time, he wraps his arms around me too.

“Means a lot to me you said all that. I really like her, Simi.” He mutters.

“I figured.” It's quiet for a while before I add, “But please, no snogging around me and do not pressure her into anything. She's only fifteen, thank you. And if you hurt her, I'll get you.”

He pulls away finally from our hug to clutch his abdomen whilst laughing really hard to the point that his eyes start to water.

“Calm down, woman. Simi, I'm not twenty-seven, just seventeen, same as you. And I promise: no snogging around you, and I'm not going to hurt her.”

“Good.” I reply and rub his head. The weird boy starts to grin.

“You know she actually confessed first.”

“Oh my god!  Lola! ” I bury my head in between my laps whilst he starts to laugh again.

“I'm irresistible, y'know.”

Raising my head up, I give him a once over look, “More like repulsive.”

“HEY! ”

“What?  I'm your bestfriend. If I don't tell you the truth, who will?”

※  ※  ※  ※

“I was going to! Really soon! I promise, Simi. I guess I just wanted to give him a chance to tell you himself since you all are besties and all that. I'm sorry.” Lola apologizes.

“It's okay, baby sis. I got the gist of it.”

“You know I hate it when you baby sis  me. I'm just two years younger!” She says, scrunching up her face.

“I know you do.”

“You're evil.”

“I know dear, I know.”

She bursts out in laughter and its not long before I join in too.

“But really, he's awesome. He was great as a friend, but he's even better as my boyfriend now.” She says, love sickeningly.

I roll my eyes, “I know, I know. Actually I don't but …yeah. Chuba's great. Just be safe, Lola, and don't rush things. Remember you're in your final year of Secondary School, don't screw it up for a guy.”

She nods. “I won't. I actually have some brain up here, you know.”

“You don't say!” I gasp.

She just glares at me.

“Hey. Stop glaring so hard before you pop a blood vessel and I'd be stuck taking care of you.”

She laughs while shaking her head and then rests her legs on my thighs. I ask if my thighs were softer than her bed and she claims she's more comfortable this way.

I don't hesitate to shove her legs off while she tries to pull off a puppy-faced look and fails miserably.

“You know this look actually works on humans, especially Chuba.”

Here we go again

I mean, he always gives me hugs once I administer the face on him and oh my god! His hugs are pr—”

“Okay, okay, ” I cut in on her rambling. “I don't really need to hear any lovey-dovey sickening stuff between my bestfriend and my sister. Thanks a lot.” I say, practically skipping off the bed and heading for the door.

“You're such a wet blanket, Simi.” She says from behind me.

“The one and only.”