→ q u a t o r z e

I could feel the hairs on my arms and neck rising as I gulped.

“You suddenly lost your voice?” He asks mockingly.

I just shut my eyes for a moment before speaking, “How’d you get this number, Patrick?”

“The ‘how’ isn’t necesssary, let's just say… you shouldn't dump your personal info. on just any social media, smart ass.”

Shit!

“Listen, ” I struggle to say, “Leave me the hell alone if you don't want to get into any form of shit.”

“Oh please. No one knows about what happened. I'm trusting you had at least a bit of sense to not mention what happened to anyone.”

At this point, my arms start to tremble and I sink to the floor without responding.

“I know you're still there, Sola.”

“D-don't call me that.”

“Why”

“Don't call me that.” I repeat more firmly.

He lets out a sardonic laughter and then “Whatever, freak.”

Silence.

“I want to see you.”

My voice suddenly surfaces and I laugh dryly before responding, “You're sick and you need help.”

He doesn't say anything for a while and then responds pathetically, “I can see you if I want to. Remember, I know exactly where you stay.”

“You don't scare me.” I reply weakly and mentally slap myself. “I don't have time for your silly games this night. Go screw with someone your own size and age.”  And then I hang up.

For Pete's sake I thought I was finally rid of him!

It doesn't take long for the waterworks to surface and I don't know how long I stay curled up on the floor before drifting off to sleep.

※  ※  ※  ※

“Simi”

The voice sounds so far away whilst my eyes are still shut; I open them and everywhere's kind of hazy. Then I shut them again.

Someone taps my foot and I open my eyes again, my vision's better now at least.

I stretch out before sitting up and finally notice Tayo at the edge of the bed.

“Tayo?”

He just gives me a fake grin before his face turns serious.

”How are you? Really.”

I give him a confused look. “I'm okay, I guess. Just woke up.” And that's when the light bulb comes on in my head!

I think I fell asleep on the floor, crying.. How'd I end up on my bed?

…and then I remember the call and panic sets in.

Thought Patrick was.. was at South AfricaWhen the hell did he get back?!

I start to tense visibly whilst recalling what happened three years ago and also imagining possible ways he might've gotten my personal number to contact me and…

“Simi?”

Honestly forgot for a moment that Tayo was seated right in front of me and I probably just provided more room for doubt with the way I suddenly tensed and zoned out.

“Yes? Sorry, what'd you say?”

He just gives me a look I can't decipher at the moment, concern?

“I asked what happened last night because I met you on the floor asleep and there were dried tear streaks on your face.”

Avert my eyes to my hands before asking why he was in my room in the first place.

“Seriously, Simisola?” He asks with a frown.

”No, really.” I insist.

“Whatever. Just came to drop off your clean laundry, I don't know, guess I was feeling extra nice last night.” He responds, shrugging his shoulders slightly. “So, now we're done avoiding the topic, what happened?”

“Umm, nothing.”

“Nothing?”

“Yes, Tayo. I just had terrible cramps.” No you didn't. Tell him!!!

“Cramps make you cry ? Never noticed before.” He says whilst eyeing me suspiciously.

“Face it, Tayo, you never notice anything”

He just frowns.

“Its true!”

“Fine. If it's cramps then okay, but just know I don't entirely believe you.”

“Oh c’mon, Tayo, stop being paranoid.”

“I'm not paranoid. On a totally unrelated note, you should brush y'know, your breath's horrible.” He says and then covers his nose with his palms.

“Tayo! You don't say things like that to a girl!”

“I Just said it to you though.”

“And you wonder why your relationships never last.. ”

“Just quit talking and move to the bathroom for the sake of everybody's nose in this house.” Then his face turns serious again.

I'm about to say something before,

“You're sure you're okay?”

“I am. But thanks though.”

He waves it off and then, “Lola, Jon and I  are headed to Atican later today though, I think Yetty’s coming along too. You should come, it'll be cool, I guess. You've always loved the beach.”

Atican’s a Beach Resort situated not too far away from our home, depending on traffic though.

YetundeYour ex?” I ask him whilst raising a brow.

“Yes. Yetunde, my ex. Well?”

“You know I love the beach. Of course I'm coming along. Just remember to wake me up an hour before you guys leave. I think I'm going to sleep in a little.” I tell him before falling back on the bed and covering my head with a pillow.

“Lazy ass.” He replies before I hear my door opening few seconds after.

“Heard that.” I say loudly but it's kind of muffled by the pillow on my face.

“You were supposed to, lazy ass.”