→ t r o i s

“So you schooled at Suleja? ”

I laugh at Jon's pronunciation of ‘Suleja’ first, before shaking my head. “Yes, but it's pronounced sue-lay-jar.

“Okay, Suleja.” He says.

“Close enough, yes. Its in Niger State and is really close to Abuja. ”

“Oh, makes sense, since you stayed at Abuja for the past five months. ”

I nod and then, “Oui. ”

He laughs and it sounds really cute an— focus!

“—k French? ”

I just raise a brow at him because that was all I heard. I guess he was asking if I could speak french? “Pardon? ”

He said he'd asked if I could speak French and I told him about how my French alter ego pops up once in a while and just stares at me before bursting into laughter, as usual.

I won't lie, the few minutes I've spent with Jon, found out he's got a great sense of humour though he's kind of reserved. I feel there's some kind of weight on him but I don't want to seem too nosy yet. We're seated at the dining room, he actually came by to meet up with Tayo but that one's in the bathroom so one thing led to another and we began to talk, mainly about random things though.

“So, uhmm... how are you related to the Dukes’? ”

“Actually, I'm not. They're my legal guardians, never met them up until four months ago. ”

“Oh. That explains why I'd never met you before.”

“Right.”

“So, you're British? ”

He laughs, “No, my mom was though, I just spent a good part of my childhood and adolescence in Great Britain so I picked up the accent. I'm Canadian by birth.” And then he suddenly turned kind of pale and I sensed that was a touchy subject for him.

“I'm sorry. About your mom.”

“Its fine.”

“Okay.”

Silence.

I rack my brain trying to think of something to alleviate some of the tension here.

Voila!

“Man, I love your eyes. ” I finally say whilst smiling and looking straight into them. “They're so grey and beautiful and god, I'm so jealous right now. ”

Chuckling, he says, “Thanks, I guess. Yours are nice too. ”

I fake a stern look, “You don't have to return the compliment, Jon. They're okay, but yours are spectacular!”

He really cannot contain his laughter and then, “No, they're actually really n—”

“Hope Simi's not hitting on you.” My annoying brother blurts out from his hole whilst entering the dining room, interrupting my ego boost!

“TAYO! ”

“What? ”

“How can you say that! ”

“What... I know you sis! ” He says with an annoying smile. That's not true, definitely not! I so do not hit on boys, I only had a tiny crush on one of his friends when I was fifteen and may not have been so subtle about it but that was it!

Ground please open up and take me now

Jon just looks between us two and is vibrating with laughter.

I shoot Tayo a deadly glare, “Thanks a lot, big brother. ”

“Anytime, sweetheart. Guy, I'm done. ” He says to Jon who's still recovering from his laughing fit.

“See you later. ” Jon says to me whilst standing up and proceeding to head out of the dining  with   
Tayo.

“I hope not. ” I reply whilst sighing dramatically. “Don't believe a word he says! ” I quickly add and then hear them both laughing on their way out.

※  ※  ※  ※