→ d i x

¶ I, I've been trying to fix my pride
   but that shit's broken,
    that shit's broken.
    Lie, lie, I-lie I tried to hide
    but know you know it
    that I'm at an all time…¶

***door bell chimes again***

“Give up already!! And at the good part too!” I yell to no one in particular. The doorbell is connected to the sound system so whenever it rings, it interrupts whatever was previously playing. This is the second time it's ringing and I thought that whoever's at the door would've gotten the hint to leave by now because whoever it is is perfectly ruining my JonB moment in the sitting room ( and me singing along, of course).

Finally get up from my lying position on the sofa to get the door and I so did not expect to see the human on the other side.

“Umm, hey.”

“Tayo's not home.” I reply.

“I know, I —”

“My mom's not home either. I know most times you guys meet to talk about stuff  that no one tells me about so… yeah.”

He sighs, “I know that too. I ac—”

“So if  you know, why are y—”

“Can you just listen!” He cuts in frustratingly.  “Sorry.” He sucks in a deep breath, “Can you please just listen, I actually came over to talk. With you.”

I scoff. “I don't think we have anything to talk about.” And it comes out more rudely than I intended.

He sighs yet again and runs a hand through his silky hair. I haven't seen him since the mass on Christmas Eve and though it's just been four days, I kind of missed seeing himI don't know, he still looks good though, in that dishevelled kind of way and —

Focus!

Oh, right.

When I finally come back to earth, I notice he's staring at me like he expects me to say something. When I don't say anything but just awkwardly stare back, he says,

“Right. Okay, I know I kind of acted like a jerk for a while back there but I'm sorry. Really sorry, for acting all mysterious when there is really no mystery here; and…I'd really appreciate it if you lose the attitude and invite me in. I've been standing here for quite a while, if you don't mind that is.”

I say nothing but shift a little from the door's frame to give him space to come in.

Jon Bellion's been put on hold for now though.

He plops down on the sofa I was lying on not long ago and I just want to yell ‘that's my sofa, dude’ but I just wordlessly move to the adjourning chair.

“You're home alone?” He asks.

“Nope. Lola's upstairs.”

“Right. So, umm… my Guardians and I  had lunch here on Christmas though. They asked about you a lot and I guess I …kind of hoped you'd come d—”

“Okay, yeah. That's nice and all but my mom's already mentioned it. Can we just skip to what you're actually here for?”

Jon just looks at me with those grey eyes of his that look a bit clouded right at this moment before saying, “I just want to tell you everything you'd want to know, about me. That's if you still want to though.”

“I don't know if I was the only one who felt it but I felt  we were on to a great start and I loathe this awkwardness between us right now.”

I don't respond for a moment and then we both try to speak at the same time and he goes, “It's fine, you first.”

“No.” I retort.  “You can go first.”

He just shrugs. “Well, to answer your question, yes. I was involved in a very fatal accident, still have horrible scars on my back and all,  I'm actually really surprised you didn't hear about it sooner because it was that serious.” He looks away for a moment, “I was involved in a plane crash nineteen weeks ago.” And then he tries to let out a laugh but it comes out sounding really forced.

Well, we don't say anything for a while, then I finally blurt out without thinking,

“I don't know but aren't you hungry? There's cake though, red velvet. Baked two days ago and there's also jollof rice.”

You're stupid. Really.

“Oh, no. Thanks, I'm good. Really.”

“Oh.” I look down at my toes for a few seconds before finally saying something sensible, “Okay, look, I'm terrible at consoling people but I'm really sorry…about your whole accident, or crash rather. Really, and it's understandable you didn't want to talk about it earlier, I mean, if you'd want to stop right now, you can.”

“No..I'm good. Actually, I'm better. It kind of helps to talk about it, I think. I just didn't want more pity from this family which is why I was reluctant to, at first.”

I shake my head, “No. I don't think my family pities you, we genuinely care about you. There's a big difference.”

I could swear he got red in the neck but it passes away almost as quickly as it appeared.

“Well, I guess so.” He finally says as he rubs his neck with both palms whilst leaning more into the sofa.

“I know so.” I reply. He just lets out a chuckle.

“So, I mean… how'd you end up here in Ajah of all places?” I ask in an attempt to quell the tension rising after a moment.

“Oh. Here's another thing: I kind of suffer from partial amnesia, though its temporary, and my doctor said it'll all come back in time so whatever I tell you here on is what I've been told.”

I nod, silently urging him to continue.

“Umm, I was told that we crashed into the Atlantic, thankfully, close to a beach and only a few people were there at that time and luckily none of them were hurt.”

“What beach?”

“Kuramo? I think.”

Jesus. That's the beach Chuba and I usually hung out at most times back when we were younger like why would something like that happen there of all places?! 

Or anywhere else!

“Wow.”

“Yeah.”

“Are you like the only—”

“Only survivor? No. I was told only ten of us on that plane survived, luckily, your mom's NGO found us washed up on that beach three days later and I still don't get why God kept me — and I'm no saint, trust me— but it must've been for a reason, I guess.” He concludes shrugging.

“Well, you know what they say, God loves sinners.” I reply with a slight smile.