01 - Shot Through the Heart

It hurt, it really hurt

It hurt, it really hurt. I couldn't quite understand what hurt, but I was in an immense amount of pain for some unexplainable reason. My chest felt a sharp and painful twist; it was as if someone had struck an arrow through me. Was I already contracting heartburn? Having a heart attack?

Friday, 11:15 a.m. Orion Maia Leighton pronounced dead, the cause of death unknown.

I could already imagine the headlines and the unflattering photos that would be posted in remembrance of me. At this moment in time, it honestly felt as if I was dying. Although I exclaim this, I hardly know how dying feels like. All I know is that my chest hurts like hell. Although I cannot say that I know what hell feels like... Despite everything, the point is that the upper right of my chest feels like it's being squeezed like a lemon. I could hardly breathe and my vision has become blurry. This is a truly painful experience in which has inhibited me, I could not possibly know what to do in this situation.

I try to hold onto the school lockers as I painfully struggle through the hallway; high schools weren't really built to support people who were having their hearts ripped out from inside of them. Inconsiderate if you ask me, but then again nobody is asking the girl who can hardly breathe. In fact, nobody is even in the hallway at the moment to have the opportunity to ask me.

Where is my best friend, Eliza, when I truly need her? I saved her when Henry Young tried to kiss her and now she isn't here to call the ambulance for me. Elizabeth Corinne Prescott please save me, that's all I ask, please save me and fast.

An even sharper pain strikes my chest not even a minute later, my thoughts interrupted by the brutal pain. I felt like screaming due to the pain, but I couldn't manage to emit an audible noise. 

"Dear Lord, when I get to heaven please let me bring my man," I say quickly in my head, knowing that I don't have a man and that I just want to say Lana Del Rey lyrics before I die.

I close my eyes, the sight of an empty hallway lined with red lockers fading from my eyes. I fall to the ground and brace myself for the end. 

But, the end doesn't come. The sharp pain stops and I regain my breaths, even with the pain at a rest, an uneasy weight in my chest remains.

In confusion I open my eyes slowly, opening each eyelid individually. I find myself faced with a pair of blue eyes, their clarity is astonishing and immortal.

I scramble back, just to run into the cold metal lockers.

The owner of the blue eyes chuckles and then gives a smirk. "Hello, Orion."

"How do you know my name?" I manage to stammer out, my voice wavering and displaying fear.

He gives me a simple shrug, but it isn't an 'I don't know' shrug. The man evidently knows my name for some strange reason, however, he wasn't willing to tell me which made it all even stranger.

"Who are you?" I ask, this time my voice coming out a little more confident and strong.

Mr. Blue Eyes gives me what I'm assuming is his signature smirk before opening up his mouth again.

"Cupid."