24 - Our Love Has Gone Cold

"The council has allowed me to apply for the release of Cupid's position

"The council has allowed me to apply for the release of Cupid's position. They say I'm hopeless in the whole finding love department, that once I mentor the next Cupid, which is you, I'm free and can apply to be relinquished of the job. After I get relinquished from the job I plan to move to a whole different country."

I must have been mistaken to fall for him because he's given up and so has heaven's council.

I say nothing to his miniature speech and let the tears fall one by one; he still does not look at me.

"There's one condition to me being relinquished, it's that I can never love. Isn't that funny?" he says monotonously.

I again say nothing and stare at the ground. I bite down on my bottom lip in an attempt at stopping the tears.

"You're mentored now aren't you? You're an incredible Cupid... A little peculiar and weird... However, you're a fantastic one," he continues, also staring at the ground.

It's a minute later; it's a minute later when he looks up. When he looks at me, I look up as well.

He has a small smile placed on his face.

The sound of thunder is present in the background; the sight of lightning highlights his smile.

"I hope you find somebody worthy of your love."

I try my best to force up a smile.

"I should get going. Bye, Orion," he whispers.

He then twists open the front door and walks out.

It's only a few seconds before I find the will to run out the front door after him.

Tears begin to camouflage with the heavy rain falling from the cloudy grey sky.

By the time I'm ten feet away from him I collapse, in the middle of the road staring at him walk away.

He turns around, for a second I see a flash of concern in his eyes. But, seconds later it's gone.

"You're going to get hit by a car if you sit there," he says louder than the pouring rain.

I rapidly shake my head and face him straight on for the first time today.

I must look helpless, weak, and idiotic to him.

I mean I was crying, horribly and breaking down in the pouring rain like a love-struck preteen, I would probably catch a cold but honestly, I no longer cared.

Eros just stood opposite of me stiffly, awkwardly scratching the back of his head.

I wait for him to help me up, but he doesn't.

"You're making this harder for me than it already is," he says softly, his voice almost inaudible.

He stands opposite of me, facing me like I thought I wanted but in fact feared. It takes seconds before a voice inside me can be found and when it's found I scream.

"You think you have it so fucking hard, well guess what jackass... I'm in love with you and have to see you walk away from me... See you blatantly reject me... Fuck you, Eros."

He says nothing back and just stands still.

"Why me?" I ask out loud a minute later.

When I get no response I yell once again. "Why did I get the job of Cupid? It's been nothing but harm to me and now I'm stuck in this love situation with a man who cannot love me back."

He opens his mouth to say something but no words come out. He holds his head down for a moment before looking up and gracing me with two heavy words.

"I'm sorry."