09 - We Came So Close

I told Kyle that I would meet up with him at the Ferris wheel at five p

I told Kyle that I would meet up with him at the Ferris wheel at five p.m.

It was now five fifteen, and I had called Kyle to say I'd probably not make it until eight because I had to babysit my sister.

Well, that may be a teeny tiny lie because I don't have a sister, my parents said after having me they were done with kids. Wonder why... I wasn't an only child; I had my older brother who was now in college Parker.

Yet he still stood there waiting, how I know was because I was hiding behind a photo booth staring at him.

I seem to always be watching him from afar creepily.

My staring at Kyle was interrupted when Audra entered my eyesight, her speaking on the latest gold Smartphone.

She throws her phone back in her purse like it doesn't cost hundreds of dollars and then walks over to Kyle and stands next to him.

"Got stood up by your date also?" she asks boldly.

"She's just running a little late," he grumbles.

He still has faith in me, awe Kyle be my best friend and hang out with me sometime? I swear I won't ditch you ever again.

"That's a girls way of saying she doesn't want to see you," she says back.

He just crosses his arms.

"Let me guess, prissy Patton knows this because you've stood up loads of guys," he replies back hastily.

"Yeah, I have. Being on the opposing side doesn't feel so great..." she says, adding a small forced smile.

He gives her a glance and then grabs her hand.

"Grant, what are you doing?" she asks disgustedly, although her face says otherwise.

She was smiling. She had a genuine smile on her face, showing her dimples and everything.

"Taking you around the stalls."

That's my boy.

"Why?"

"Because there's no point on moping around when we can have our own sort of fun. I want to have fun, even if it happens to be with the girl that hates me," he replies back.

"I don't hate you," she says softly before he pulls her away and out of my line of sight.

I could just cry, this was going a lot better than I expected.

"You're welcome," I hear a voice say from behind me, startling me.

I look to see Aston with a smirk on his face. He's wearing some blue shorts that match my top and a t-shirt with a frocket.

"What are you doing here?"

"Enjoying the festival, I was hoping you would join me," he says back then adds onto his statement after a few seconds, "I'll even whisk you away bridal style."

I smack his arm and a small subtle blush creeps up on me, the thought of being carried like that through a festival full with classmates was an embarrassing notion.

I take him around to different booths without being carried and he tries to play a number of games.

He's telling me numerous stories and jokes, he's a good guy when he's not trying to flirt with me.

I'm laughing along with Aston when I hear my phone chime.

I pull it out expecting it to be a message from my mom but see it's from Cupid.

Meet me in the greenhouse, alone.

I tell Aston I'm going to the bathroom and then make my way to the greenhouse situated beside the temporary Ferris wheel. I step in the greenhouse to see Eros among the greenery.

The gardening club sure did I great job.

"Who was that?" Eros asks trying to play off cool and calm.

His 'cool' was not so believe able due to the fact he was stroking a plant in the greenhouse. How cool.

"Who?" I question with my best confused face.

"The brown-eyed boy who was practically drooling at your presence," he replies back, not giving me an ounce of eye contact.

"Oh..." I say quietly, "Him."

Eros stops his plant seducing and gives me a serious look.

"Didn't you say that when I find my own love the job of Cupid is relinquished? Maybe I'm searching for him now, and he is the one."

Aston the one? Ha. But, I sure as hell loved to piss Eros off.

"He's not the one," he mutters.

Before I can reply I feel his hand envelope mine and pull me out of the stuffy greenhouse and towards the Ferris wheel, we pass a number of people in line and I find myself in a small cabin with him.

He doesn't say anything and neither do I until we reach the top. It's a ten-minute Ferris wheel yet seems longer.

"They're having a good time, I gave you less credit than you deserve. Congratulations you matched your first couple," he says quietly.

"They're not dating yet though," I say back.

"Now don't underestimate me, I've seen them. Perhaps even a glimpse of their future and it's full of happiness."

I let out a sigh of relief and smile.

"And as far as you and lover boy, there is nothing there other than a one-sided future. You don't feel anything for him," he says out.

I stay silent, he was right. Although Aston was possibly a great guy he and I had no spark.

We didn't have the fairytale Cinderella chemistry where our hearts beat at the sight of another and so on. (Not that my heart could beat)

"So you know futures?" I ask genuinely curious.

If he could then he was a matchmaking psychic that probably wore scarves on his head and that did their work in darkly lit tents on the side of roads.

"Yeah, each matchmaker is gifted with an additional gift. Mine is seeing glimpses of the future, foreseeing."

"Well, then what do you see in the future for me? Can't you give me a hint to whom my fated one is or whatever you call them? Where am I supposed to find him?" I ask out.

He's silent for a second and then speaks.

"He's actually ri-"

"Hope you had a nice ride and have a great rest of your evening," a voice interrupts, following with a smile.

I was having a nice ride, if only it was slightly longer.