Seven

Isabella

"Do I have to go" Nicholas asks for what feels like the millionth time this morning.

"Yes you have to go to school. You're only going half days anyway, you'll be fine" I assure him.

"What if I get stuck at a table with a white sox fan" he whispers and I smile.

"And what if you don't" I counter argue.

"I asked first" he argues back.

"Please don't make this harder than it needs to be" I groan.

"I don't want to leave you" he pouts.

"I'm gonna miss you too" I smile. He starts to tear up and I couldn't help but feel my heart break. "Don't you start" I warn.

"Can you come with" he asks. I was about to answer but he starts to cough and I cringe. He shouldn't be coughing like that but I don't want to freak him out.

"I can't. But a big strong guy like you doesn't need me" I try as I rub his back to ease his coughing.

"I guess not" he sniffles. I help him get his lucky jersey on and some jean shorts. I grab his book bag and he slowly slips it on. He looks up to me with those watery blue eyes and I almost break. But I can't shelter him forever, he deserves to be a kid.

I drive over to the school and pull up to the front. I get out and help Nicholas out of his car seat. He hops out and looks up to me.

"You're gonna be great... you're gonna be great right" I ask.

"Are you freaking out on me" he asks.

"A little, yeah" I admit.

"I raised you better than that" he says placing his small hand on my shoulder.

"You are no longer allowed to hang out with aunt Ciara" I sniffle.

"I love you Izzy" he says.

"Love you too kid" I say kissing his forehead. He follows the rest of the kids into the school and I let out a sigh. A woman comes over to me and pats my back.

"First day huh" she notices and I sigh.

"Is it supposed to be this hard" I ask.

"Yeah, it's hard to let go. Is he your first kid" she wonders.

"He's my brother, our parents died a while ago so it's just him and I now. He's a special little boy and I don't want him to leave me" I admit.

"That's deep, but I promise it'll be okay. Kids are unusual like that. Tell them no ice cream and it's the end of the world, but the rest of life they figure out for themselves" she says.

"Thanks for your kind words..." I trail off.

"Nancy" she smiles.

"Isabella" I say.

We exchange numbers and I head home happy to have someone there I can talk to. I fall onto my bed and my phone goes off as soon as I crash. I let out a groan and see it was Anthony so I get a little less upset.

"Hey" I answer.

"Hi Bella" he replies and I smile. I love when he calls me that.

"What's up" I wonder.

"I know you're sulking because you just dropped Nick off at school and I was wondering if you wanted to hang out, get your mind off of things" he suggests.

"I would love that" I admit.

"How about I pick you up in 20 and you dress in something you can work out in" he says.