Forty Three

Anthony

The baby was so close to coming, she should be here any day now and I was beyond excited. We got the rest of the things for her room in today and I can finally finish it. It was a lot closer to the due date than I would have like but better late than never. Although we don't have a name yet everything else was ready for her to get here.

Isabella was asleep in our room because she's still really tired so I decided to finish up the room myself. Maybe surprise her. The walls were a light pink that was calming and yet really cute. Her crib was in the corner waiting to be used. A bunch of toys and other things people have given up occupy it right now until she gets here. Her closet was filled with little tiny baby clothing and diapers among other things. There was a chair in the corner for Isabella to feed her in and be comfortable. There was a baby blanket my mom made setting on the back of the chair.

As for what came in today, it was a blown up portrait I got made for the room. I had someone hand paint it but it looked just like the photo. It was a picture Ciara taken of Isabella, Nicky, Charlie and I sitting on the back porch last month. I had my arm around Isabella as Nick sat in my lap. Isabellas hand rests in Nicks lap and you can see her ring shining bright. Charlie sat next to Nick like he always was, he was the best service dog in the world. I was looking down at Isabella as she laughed at something Nick said, the picture was perfect. It represented us, our growing family, and I love it so much.

I put the picture above the crib and the room really came together. There wasn't anything left we needed to do and I was so excited.

"What is that" a soft voice asks. I see Isabella there rubbing her eyes as she squints to see the picture.

"I had this painted for the babies room" I explain.

"That's incredible, I can't believe you did this" she admits.

"It took a lot of time and a lot of money but I loved how it turned out. It looks amazing" I smile.

"It does, I love it" she admits. I walk over and place a soft kiss on her lips. She pulls me close and I swear I could hear her heart beating.

"What was that for" I ask.

"I just really love you. So much" she explains. It looked like she wanted to say more but she didn't.

"I love you too" I reply.

We head downstairs and find Nicky still on the couch watching whatever on Disney channel. I follow Isabella into the kitchen and she starts to get things out for dinner.

"Is Ciara and Jon joining us for dinner tonight" I wonder.

"Jon has a game and Ciara isn't exactly happy with me right now" she sighs.

"Really? I didn't even think it was possible for you two to be mad at each other" I claim.

"She's not mad at me, in fact I don't know why she's feeling towards me, but she's not happy" she explains.

"Well what happened" I ask and she stops.

"I'd rather not talk about it" she says coldly.

"Oh... okay" I nod. "Are you feeling any better" I ask.

"Kinda" she shrugs.

"Honestly" I ask and she sighs.

"I'm fine, I swear" she smiles and I nod. I can tell she's not telling me something but she seems pretty shaken up and if it's bad enough to make Ciara not talk to her then I'm not sure I want to know what's going on.

I help her make dinner and we set the table. Nicky joins us as we say grace. We dig in and enjoy a dinner conversation like always. I loved when Isabella cooks dinner because no matter what it was it tasted great.

"I love your cooking" I say and she smiles at me.

"Thank you" she nods.

"It's hard to think I was able to survive before I met you" I laugh.

"You were doing fine before me" she insists.

"Maybe, but what quality of a life is a fine one? With you I'm not just eating, I'm dining. With you I'm not just a baseball player, I'm about to be a husband and a dad. With you I'm not just living, I'm thriving" I explain. She stares at me as silence falls over the table.

"You really think that" she asks.

"Of course. I was alive for 22 years before you but I've only been living since I met you" I smile. She smiles back and goes back to eating.

After dinner we wash up and Nick changes into his PJs. He puts on his "I'm going to be a big brother" shirt and sits in my lap.

"Is Izzy okay" he asks. I was about to say "yeah she's fine" but something tells me she's not.

"I think so. She just has some of the side effects of her carrying a baby" I explain.

"I want the baby here so I can have my sissy back" he claims.

"Soon buddy, we're almost there" I reply.

Isabella joins us and we watch a movie. She lays her head in my lap and I stare down at her. Her long lashes opening and shutting. Just simply existing beautifully.

"When do you want to get married" I ask.

"Tomorrow" she says and I laugh.

"Okay soon" I compromise.

"No, I really mean tomorrow" she says and I look at her weird.

"You could have the baby tomorrow" I say and she stays silent.

"How about next December, a winter wedding" she says changing the subject. Weird but okay.

"That sounds great" I admit.

"We can have all of our friends and family up here. Find somewhere with floor to ceiling windows that over look this city. Nicky is going to be your best man because he's been your wing man since day one. Our little girl with be my maid of honor and we can get her a little dress to match the bridesmaids. We'll be at the alter for what feels like forever. Just staring back at each other as we fall more in love. You're going to forget your vows because you wrote them down and swore you memorized them but you didn't. In that moment everything is gone as we realize words can't describe what we have. And they never will" she says with a sniffle. I pull her chin up and see she was crying.

"Baby that was beautiful, but why are you crying" I wonder.

"I want so bad for it to be like that" she says.

"It will be" I insist and she looks away. "What aren't you telling me" I ask.

"I... I can't say it" she whispers. She's not one to keep secrets so I only imagine what's happening. "You know that I love you so much, right" she asks.

"Of course I do" I assure her.

"So much" she says softly.

"I love you too."