Twenty Six

Isabella

"Do you have to go" I pout.

Anthony had put off going to spring training until he absolutely had to but the time had come. Official practices start tomorrow and he simply had to go. Nicholas had at least four more days in the hospital if all goes well and we wouldn't be able to fly to Arizona. It wouldn't be safe and I'm not sure I want Nick around all those people anyway. I'm not afraid to admit I'm a momma bear, but he's all I got left and I would just die if something happened to him. But not seeing Anthony for two months is going to kill me too so it looks like I'm choosing from the lesser of two evils.

"I do have to go, and I don't want to but I have to" he insists.

"This sucks" I pout and he laughs.

"I expect the lip from Nicholas, not from you" he teases.

"I'm sad... I don't want you to go" I insist.

"You're making this harder than it needs to be" he sing songs. He wraps his arms around me and presses my body against his. He presses a kiss against my forehead and I remember I won't have this for two months and get sad all over again.

"What am I supposed to do without you" I ask.

"You have Nicholas and Charlie, your hands are more than full" he insists.

"Yeah, but I like taking care of you too" I smirk and he furrows his eyebrows at me.

"Now leaving isn't that hard" he teases.

"Nooo I'm just kidding. I'm sorry" I beg.

"You're forgiven, I can't do anything around those eyes anyway" he admits.

"Promise you'll call every day" I start.

"Of course" he replies starting to rock us back and fourth.

"And that you'll work extra hard and get better" I add on.

"That's why I'm going" he laughs.

"And come back as soon as possible" I beg.

"I'm going to be on the first plane back here" he assures me. He gives me a kiss and I try to remember what it felt like to have his lips on mine.

We go in the room and he says a long goodbye to Nick. And I thought me saying goodbye was hard... it was impossible to watch that. But I get Anthony out and he goes on his way. I try my hardest not to cry and pull it together.

As soon as he gets out I start to head back to Nicky's room but stop when I see a couple standing outside. When I get closer I see it's my grandparents and swallow hard. This can't be good.

"What are you guys doing here" I ask in a less than inviting tone. But I already had enough to worry about without any help from them.

"Can't we see our grandson" my grandma asks.

"With you guys it's never that simple" I defend.

"We're just here to make sure Nicky is okay" she insists.

"And.." I trail off.

"And to talk to you" she finishes and I let out a groan.

"I'm not letting you take Nick away" I sigh.

"We just want what's best for you guys" she explains.

"How would you know what's best for us" I snap.

"Sweetie, you're not even 23 yet. You're so young and so naieve. You haven't had parents since you were eighteen to teach you right from wrong. You haven't been able to finish school to get your degree because you have to take care of your brother. That means no income or health insurance or benefits. How are you supposed to take care of Nicholas and give him what he needs without a job" she asks.