Eighteen

Anthony

After the last doctors appointment I've been pretty shaken up. The thought of losing Nicholas hit me hard, especially when the doctor was explaining what was happening. It made it so real that I could lose him and really quickly. And although I've only known him for six months he's become someone I've grown very fond of. He was more than just my girlfriends little brother. He was my hero, my inspiration, he was a purpose when life feels like it's lost its meaning. He was a light in the dark and I can't lose my light.

We had to pull him out of school because there was too many unknown factors in that. He could get sick or if he had a episode no one would know how to treat it so he simply couldn't attend school anymore. It sucks because he made friends and he was finally being a kid and now we've taken ten steps back from where we want him to be. You feel bad for the kid because he just wants to do things he shouldn't have to worry about, he's having his childhood taken from him and he knows it. He's also the strongest kid I know and understands why this is all happening which makes you want to see him do well that much more. The kids from his class sent him cards and they sent him some other things to show that they're thinking of him. He was a well liked kid and the teacher said his name tag and cubbie will be left up even if he can't come back. He hasn't been there since that doctors appointment but we try to let him catch up with all his friends.

So I've been doing some research and emailing and talking to other surgeons and cardiologists around the nation. I ask them what it would take to find Nick a heart quickly and how much it'll all cost. It turns out it does cost a lot, not even I could help with that. But my mom has agreed to help do a fundraiser and the Cubs organization said they would love to be a part of it. Right now everything is in the grey area but I feel better moving forward knowing that there's a chance we can get this done.

As November turned to December it gets cooler and that means one thing, cuddling. Isabella and I lay on the couch watching whatever Christmas movie Nick wanted to watch. He likes to watch all of them in one sitting and I have to admit, I was impressed. We've been here for in hours and we're starting to repeat movies but I didn't care. We were all happy and that's what matters.

"So, what are your plans for Christmas" I ask near the end of Frosty Returns.

"To not go totally bankrupt from buying everyone gifts" she laughs.

"I'm talking about plans for Christmas Day" I say.

"Oh, I'm not sure" she shrugs.

"What do you say to coming down to Florida to celebrate the holiday with my family" I suggest.

"You want me to meet your family" she asks.

"Well you and Nick. They're going to eat him up" I admit.

"I'm not food" he pouts.

"Shhh. Turn around" Isabella says and he does as he's told.

"So what do you say" I ask.

"I've never been to Florida" she starts.

"And.." I trail off.

"And I love your parents" she smirks.

"Do you want to come or not" I laugh.

"I think we could go to Florida for Christmas. What do you say Nicky" she asks.

"What's Florida" he asks.

"Its hot there" she says and he cheers.

"I love Florida" he claims.

"Of course you do" she laughs.

We finish watching Frosty Returns for the third time this week and call it a day. Isabella goes in the kitchen to make some hot chocolate and I put the tree up in the mean time. Nick helps me decorate the best he can with how tall he is. He doesn't get very far up the tree.

"Looking good boys" Isabella compliments coming into the living room.

"We know" Nick says and I nudge his side.

"Smart asses don't get presents from Santa" she whispers and he covers his mouth. She hands out the hot chocolate and I moan as the warm liquid slips down my throat.

"I don't know what you put in here, but it's heavenly" I moan and she smiles.

"It's my hair" she jokes and I nearly spit my drink everywhere. "I'm totally kidding" she laughs and I shake my head.

"You're foul" I laugh.

"I try" she shrugs. She sets her Christmas mug down and joins us in decorating. Christmas music plays softly in the background as the tree quickly becomes filled with presents. It was a bit busy but was still really pretty. I carefully put nick on my shoulders and he puts the angel at the top. We get him down and we turn on the lights. He lets out a gasp as it all comes together.

"Wow... we're really good" Nick nods causing me to laugh.

"I think we are" I admit.

"Do you believe in Christmas miracles" the kid randomly asks. I look down on him as he stares at the angel. You can see it's reflection in his eyes as he stares up at it.

"I think the holidays are times where anything can happen" I admit.

"Well I believe in Christmas miracles and I think this year is going to be a special Christmas" he claims.

"Why so" I wonder.

"Because last year I wished for someone to be there for me and my sister and I got you. So maybe if I pray hard enough I'll get a heart too" he shrugs. Isabella bends down next to him so she was eye to eye.

"You asked for a new friend for Christmas last year" she asks.

"Well kind of. I asked for someone like like mom or dad. Who can take care of you while you took care of me. Someone who gives good hugs and can show us love. And when I met Anthony I knew he was our angel that was sent to us" Nicky explains.

"I didn't know you wanted someone else around" she admits.

"I had everything I needed the whole time. I had a mom and a sister and a dad. It was all you. But I wanted someone to make you happy. I know I make you happy, I mean look at me, but I also make you sad. I wanted someone to take your sadness away" he says.

"You're an amazing soul, you know that" she asks.

"Of course I am, I'm related to you" he smiles. She wraps him in a hug as they just embrace each other.

"You know what Nicky" Isabella asks.

"What" he replies.

"I believe in Christmas miracles too" she sighs.