Thirty One

Anthony

After a long but successful spring training we return home for the first game of the year. My parents come in town for the first home game and we have a little get together at Isabellas house. Jon and Ciara join us as we have a cook out and enjoy the last bit of free time before the season starts. We won't be able to all be together again for a while so we should enjoy it while we can.

I sit at the grill with Jon and my dad while the girls played with Nicky in the back yard. I watch happily from the sideline as my most favorite people were all in the same place.

"What's got you cheesin" my dad asks.

"I'm just thinking" I shrug.

"About what" he wonders.

"About life in general. Isabella always says it's good to count your blessings and I think she's right. Life has been pretty good as of late and I can't help but be happy" I admit.

"That's good to hear son. How are things with you and Isabella" he asks. It's been a while since my parents have been up but there's not a lot to catch up on really.

"She's been doing great. It helps that Nicky has a new heart so she isn't as worried like she used to be. I mean she's still worried but not as much as before. Now she has a little pep in her step, she's a little more optimistic and her eyes sparkle more. It's been great" I admit.

"You thinking about making a big boy move" he asks.

"That would be..." I trail off.

"Marrying her, are you going to marry her" he reiterates.

"Yeah, I am" I admit and Jon's head turns to me.

"Well this is news to me" he claims.

"I haven't gotten a ring or anything but I think about it often" I shrug flipping a hamburger.

"I can see you guys getting married. You're great together" Jon admits.

"I don't know a lot of things, so much about my future is still uncertain, but I do know I want to marry her. I want to be with her for the rest of my life and then some. I want to have kids and have a family so that when I have a bad game I can come home they'll remind me that everything is going to be okay because I have them and that's better than anything baseball has to offer. I want to be something to Nicholas, something that he never got and that's a father. Life took so much from him and I would love to be the one to give something back for once. I want to hear people tease that I married up and although I'll laugh along, although I'll know its true.

I won't find someone as kind hearted as her. Someone as brilliant and soulful and loving as she is. No one could hold me like she does. She brings out the best in me and reminds me how special I am to her. She brings out the worst in me and helps me get better. I cannot wait to start playing again so I can look up from the field and see her smiling down at me. She doesn't say a word but I hear everything she is saying. And it sounds so beautiful, I want that forever and I'll only get that with her" I explain.

"You raised a good boy" Jon says patting my dad on his back.

"That's all his mom. You thank me when he does good with baseball" my dad insists and I roll my eyes.

"Then you're still doing good" Jon claims and I laugh.

I finish grilling and everyone makes their plate before finding somewhere on the porch to sit down and eat. We sit in a circle and just talk around like old friends. I had Isabella to my right and my mom to my left, my two most favorite girls in the whole world by my side.

"So, are you ready for another season" Isabella asks between bites.

"Physically yes. I had a great camp and only plan on going up from here on out. I'm a little anxious but that'll pass come game day" I shrug.

"I'm so excited to get back to Wrigley" she admits.

"Are you now" I tease.

"Yeah, there's this guy on the team I have my eye on" she smirks.

"Well he's one lucky guy to have caught your eye" I smile.

"Who are they talking about" Nicholas asks my dad and we laugh.

"It's Anthony" he explains.

"I knew that" the boy claims and I shake my head.

"What about you Nick, are you excited to go to school next year" my mom asks him.

"Yeah, I get to be in first grade this year" he exclaims.

"You're getting so old" she teases.

"I know right" he sighs.

We finish our food before going into the house to watch a movie. We all sit on the floor with our drinks and a pillow and laugh when we're supposed to. Nick sat in Isabellas lap as she sat under my arm. I look down at them as they look at the tv, both with a big smile on their face. I stare as they continue to exist just as they did long before I was in their life. They let me in and they welcomed me whole heartedly. That's pretty special and I can't wait to see where this goes from here.

(This chapter is kind of a filler and boring so I'm gonna post another chapter if that's okay with you all 😉)