Ch 1: "I Got In!"

WAYO's POV

"Ming, I got in! I got in!" I yell, reaching over and wrapping my arm around my best friend's neck. I pull him into a head lock and say, "We'll be going to the same college, we'll be together."

"Fuck, let go man!" Ming yells back, as he pushes off my strangle hold. He's smiling, enjoying my happiness, but he pauses for a minute and takes a long look at me.

I'm practically vibrating around on the bench seat, I'm so happy. When I glance at him, I could see he has something to say, but I don't want to hear it. I start babbling about the fun and new experiences we will have, all the new people we will meet, and how different everything will be from the pack house.

Ming finally cuts me off with one question, "Has your father agreed to this?"

The words stop tumbling from my mouth and I can only stare at Ming with wide eyes. What can I say?

No, of course I haven't told my father I applied to college. He would probably lose his mind and lock me in my room until I forgot all about the idea. That's why I secretly filled out the paperwork and submitted the application without him knowing. I figured my chances were better if I talked to him about it after I was accepted. It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission from my father.

Ming can read the expression on my face. He gives me a hard look and blurts out, "Are you kidding me? You haven't talked to him about this? Yo this is NOT the same as you skipping out to go for a run in the woods without permission. This is serious. I will not support you on this until you talk to your father."

I hang my head and let out a small whimper. "Ming, I can't stay here forever. I can't be protected forever. I feel like I'm suffocating." I look over at him, and I know my eyes are shiny with unshed tears. "You all get to leave the pack lands and go out to see and do new things, while I stay here and wait to hear your stories. I can't do it anymore! I want to see the places everyone tells me about. I want to meet new people and try new things. I want to live my life, not just be alive."

Ming is listening to me, he is hearing me. I can see his expression is slightly softening after my impassioned speech. "Look Yo, I know what you want, how can I not know? And I want you to be able to do those things too, but not like this." His face hardens again, and I know before the words even come out of his mouth what he will say. "Tell your father today or I will tell him myself."

I know Ming means what he is saying. He's my best friend. We've been raised together since my birth, so I know when I have to take him seriously and when I can blow him off. Now is not one of those blow off times. He will run to my father and inform him of what I've done, if I don't get my act together and tell him myself.

I turn away and sigh heavily. I make a last plea before I start to head back to the pack house, "Please at least be on my side, Ming. I need someone on my side."

Ming reaches out and puts a hand on my arm to stop me from walking away. I don't turn to him, but I do hear his words, "I am always on your side Wayo, even when you think I'm not. I only want what's best for you."

Ming only wants what's best for me, but that's part of the problem. The whole pack only wants what they think is best for me. The key is what 'they' think is best for me, what about what I think is best for me? 

____________________________________________________________

A/N:

Well how was the start?  This is a crazy idea that has been bouncing around in my head and I felt like I needed to put it down on paper.  I hope you enjoy it.

08.28.2017

Edited:  01.27.2018   9:59 am  US CST