CH 8: Why Didn't You Tell Me?

PACK ALPHA PANITCHAYASAWAD POV (WAYO'S DAD)

Shuffling the papers around on my desk, I search for the information I need. However, when my stomach growls, I pause and examine the clock. Damn, I worked through lunch again. I should probably send one of the guards down to grab something from the kitchen for me. Wayo will be upset if he finds out I skipped a meal.

My son is the joy in my life, but he nags me about taking care of myself worse than an old grandma. I understand him, I am feel the same way about him taking care of himself, I just don't 'nag', I suggest - I'm Alpha after all.

Realizing where my mind has drifted, a small smile splits my face. Thoughts of my son are always a welcome distraction from my work. I turn and study his picture on my desk which was taken after his 1st change – he was in his wolf form. He was such a cute wolf pup. Now, 7 years later, Wayo's wolf is still a small bundle of fur. He's grown a tiny bit over the years, but not much, and he's still as cute as ever in his wolf form.

Many things have changed in the last 7 years, but they've also stayed the same. The pack, Wayo, and I are the same; but we aren't. Our neighbors and allies are the same, but they aren't. Does that even make sense? It's the truth, whether it makes sense or not. Needing to focus on my work, I shake loose of my wayward thoughts.

Leaving my office while the sun is up is seldom an option, but if I allow my mind to stray too much, I'll be here all night. Managing the Pack's business, solving problems, coordinating with neighboring packs, and planning for the future of a pack as large as ours fills my days. There's always work to be done. I return to shuffling the papers on my desk, trying again to find the information I need.

"Ah, there you are," I mutter as I dig out the page I am hunting, but my fingers twitch and it slips from my fingers as I feel a sharp twinge of emotion. It's a sorrowful ache, and it's getting stronger. Standing, I move towards the window to find Wayo and Ming talking in the yard. Wayo's head is hanging down and his body language is showing defeat.

Looking down, I notice my hand has been unconsciously rubbing against my chest, trying to soothe an ache that isn't mine. Wayo's emotions are starting to leak into the pack connection. As I look down at the two boys from my office window, I'm not sure what they are talking about, but I'm sure it's causing Wayo pain.

Reaching for the latch, I push the window open. "Wayo." When both boys look up at me I tell them, "Come to my office, please. Both of you." I close and re-latch the window and return to my desk placing papers into orderly piles to go through tomorrow. I'm sure I won't get any more work done today.

--------------------

WAYO'S POV

Ming and I glance at each other and head into the house to my father's office. Neither of us speak on the way up. We both know where we stand, now my father will get his say.

One of the guards outside my father's office opens the door and lets us in immediately. We find my father sitting in his chair, behind his massive desk waiting patiently. His hands are folded neatly in front of him. We both wai to my father, then stand there silently. Waiting.

He looks both of us over and being tired of the silence, starts, "Which of you wants to tell me what's going on?"

Ming, the traitor, pops in, "I believe Ai'Yo should explain, sir."

Shooting a fiery look in his direction along with an angry burst of emotion, I'm positive he'll understand how I feel about him right now. Wincing, he looks away, but makes no move to help me with my confession.

"Dad, I..." I stutter to a stop. Where do I start with my explanation? I didn't have time to plan what to say. Deciding to just blurt it out and deal with the consequences, I state, "Dad, I applied to college. I took my entrance exams online and received my acceptance notice today." Peeking at my father to see his reaction, I can feel myself getting choked up. Like there's a collar around my neck and it's getting tighter and tighter. It's hard to breathe. Waiting for my father's reply is torture and all I can do is close my eyes and hang my head.

"Ahh, that."

Both Ming's head and mine jerk to look at my father as his words register.

"Dad, what do mean?" Shock is written on my face.

My dad chuckles, and leans back in his chair, "Surely you didn't think you could keep something like that a secret, did you? How do you think you got permission to take the exams online?"

"H-h-how did you find out?" I stutter.

"The school called me about some missing information on your Home School background for your application and your request to take the exams online. I've known since right after you applied."

"Dad!" I say outraged, "Why didn't you say anything?"

He leans forward on his desk and throws my words back at me. "Why didn't you say anything?"

Taking a good look at my dad, I lower my emotional barriers a little. Now, I can feel that while my dad is a little angry, he is also amused and feeling hurt. It's the hurt that gets to me.

"Oh daddy, I'm sorry. So sorry!" I say these words as I quickly walk around his desk and throw myself into his waiting arms. "I was scared you would be mad. I was scared you wouldn't even let me try." My tears are falling, and my father's shirt is getting wet. "Are you really angry with me?"

He pushes me back a little and wipes the tears from my face. "I'm not as angry as I was when I first found out. You should have told me," he says while giving me a little shake, "but I also understand why you didn't."

"So, what does this mean then?" I ask bravely. My heart is pounding, and I feel a little dizzy just thinking about what this could actually mean.

"I've decided that you need to see more of the world than just our pack lands. So you can go to college, but there will be conditions and rules you must follow." My father speaks the words that will change my life, with a wide smile on his face.

Breaking free of his light grasp on me, I jump around the room like a lunatic. I run over to Ming and throw my arms around his neck pulling him into a head lock for the second time today while yelling, "I'm going to college! I'm going to college!" into my friend's ear.

Not being able to contain myself anymore, I release a burst of pure joy that shoots down the pack line and stops every pack member in their tracks, making them laugh out loud in happiness.  

09.07.2017

Edited:  02.06.2018   8:56 pm  US CST