CH 6: A Run with the Boys

FLASHBACK – FORTH'S POV

As Alpha Panitchayasawad is leaning down to set Wayo on the floor, I walk over and interrupt him with a wai asking, "Alpha Panitchayasawad, may I hold him?"

Wayo's father looks at me, then down at Wayo. I continue saying, "N'Yo can I hold you?" Yo gives a quiet yip and squirms in his father's arms trying to jump over to me.

"Ok, ok, just a second. Obviously Wayo is fine with that N'Forth, but be careful with him. Ok?"

"Yes, Alpha Panitchayasawad, I will, I promise."

I take Yo from his father's arms and snuggle him close to my chest. He's so small in my arms. He's adorably cute and his fur is soft and white. Putting my head close to his, I nuzzle him and Yo smells amazing like always. He smells fresh and clean, I can't explain it, but it makes me think of sunshine.

I carry him to the side of the room where the other boys have gathered. They're all looking at him and I think they're not quite sure how to treat him after the information we just learned.

"Come on guys, let's go outside for a run. It's so seldom we all get to spend time together" Yo lets out a small whine, and I look down at him, reconsidering my words. "Maybe a walk would be better?" While Yo lets out a happy yip at my words, the other boys around the group all let out quiet groans. But I can see they all have indulgent smiles on their faces. They understand Yo won't be able to keep up with us if we ran full out.

"Alphas," I say getting the adults' attention, "we'd like to go outside now. Are we dismissed, or do you still need us?"

The adults look at each other, and nod, then my father turns to me, "You may go, but don't go far. Our meeting will probably go till dinner time, but just in case it ends early you all need to be accessible."

"Yes, father." We all wai to the Alphas, then turn to leave. However, Alpha Panitchayasawad quickly calls out, "nongs, please be careful of Wayo. Keep in mind his size and don't let him get hurt, ok?"

He quickly receives a round of, "Yes, Alpha" from all of 5 of us, but what's startling is the burst of embarrassment followed by annoyance that crashes through the room. The image that is left in my mind is one of Yo, stomping his foot with his arms crossed. I think everyone except Yo's father erupts into unexpected laughter before trying to cover it with coughs or muffle it with their hands.

His father looks at him, saying, "Now Wayo, you know I'm just concerned about your safety. Stay with the boys and don't cause any trouble, ok?"

Yo huff in my arms and turns his head towards the doors. I take that as a signal it's time to go. We all give one more wai and walk out of the room.

I've hardly cleared the doorway when Yo is snatched from my arms. It's so unexpected I had no time to react and can only let out a startled, "Hey!"

Ming is now holding Yo protectively in his arms and he's whispering into his ear. There is a sudden burning sensation starting in my stomach. My hands unintentionally ball into fists. My brows lower and a frown pops out on my face.

Yo looks over at me which causes Ming to do so also. Ming looks at my face then glances down to my fisted hands. After returning his gaze to mine once again, he simply states, "He is mine to protect, P'Forth."

What can I say? I don't even know why I'm mad. I only know that seeing Yo in Ming's arms made me angry.

Unclenching my hands, I calm myself. "We're going outside for a run, since we are so seldom all together. Would you like to join us?"

"Of course, P'Forth. Let's go," and he walks away with Yo.

-------------------

Once outside, Ming puts Yo down in the yard. We all need to shift into our wolves, but we don't want to ruin our clothes. Ming points out the changing rooms on the side of the house where we can all leave our clothes until we need them later. We quickly discuss the path we'll take for our walk/run then Yo waits while everyone quickly enters the rooms, undresses, and shifts.

Thinking I can be the first one out, I hurry, but I'm wrong. Ming beat me. He was already quietly sitting behind Yo and they make quite a striking pair. Ming is a gigantic Russian wolf with black around his ears and down his back while Yo is a little white fluff ball sitting between his large paws.

That burning sensation is starting in my gut again, so I decide to get closer to Yo. The closer I got the more my nose is flooded with the same scent from earlier, only it's 100 times more powerful in wolf form. I breathe Yo's scent deeply into my lungs and in a little bit of a trance, lean down towards him thinking I can get a good sniff if I snuffle against his fur. However, I don't make it very far before I receive a sharp nip on my ear, that breaks me from my thoughts and makes me jump back.

Ming lets out a loud chuffing laugh at my reaction, while I give him a short growl. Yo just looks at both of us in confusion wondering what we're doing.

As the others start to emerge from the rooms, we gather into a group and take off down the path we've chosen at a trot. The excitement of the run gets to everyone and it's very hard to keep to a slower pace. Four of boys give into the thrill of the run and take off down the path in a full out race. Ming looks over at Yo, who is already having a hard time keeping up with the slower pace we're currently going. I also glance at Yo and can see he won't last much longer even at this slower speed.

Ming clearly wants to run with the bigger wolves, I'm sure he's restricted to Yo's speed every day, since he's his guardian. So as protective as he is of Yo, his desire to run is winning out. He gives me a hard look and a threatening growl, making sure to meet my eyes. Then he speeds up and is out of sight in seconds trying to catch up to the group of boys ahead of us.

I'm overjoyed to be left alone with Yo. Glancing at him, I can see his strength is flagging, so I nudge his shoulder gently to get his attention. We slow to a walk and look at each other. Yo glances both ways down the path, and sends a burst of regret at me, believing he's holding me back.

I simply chuff a laugh at him and nudge him back down the path towards the pack house. I couldn't care less about missing the run. I want to spend time with Yo.

09.05.2017

Edited:   01.31.2018   8:29 pm  US CST