CH 39: Bring Forth My Mate

BEAM'S POV

This week had been hellish, but our midterms were finally over. Caught between the exams and my strained friendship with Pha and Kit, I don't know how I survived.

After the confrontation with Kit and Pha last Friday, I felt awful. I went back to my dorm room and really thought about what had happened and what Pha and Kit had said.

Sometimes I couldn't stop myself from poking and prodding at people's sore spots. It was part of my personality. I was cheeky and loud mouthed, and asked the questions no one else would without thought as to why it might be better not to ask. Pha and Kit had always been able to handle and accept that side of me. They were my best friends. If others couldn't handle it, it didn't matter, because normally they didn't matter.

Yo was just an easy target. I didn't understand him. I'd never met someone who had that kind of power but avoided using it. That night, I had questions and wanted answers. I'd like to say that in the moment I forgot how sensitive he is, but truthfully, I knew and just ignored it, because it didn't matter to me.

What I realize now is that it should have mattered to me because Yo is not just some stranger. He's Pha's mate and he was becoming my friend. It's not that I shouldn't have asked my questions, I knew enough about Yo that I knew he would answer my questions. I just shouldn't have asked them then and I shouldn't have asked them the way I did. I understood that now. Now that it was too late.

I wanted the chance to fix this with Yo and everyone. I wanted everything back the way it was before, but I wasn't sure how to make that happen. There was no way Pha was going to let me see Yo, so I had to figure out another option, and the only other option was Ming. I needed to try and talk to Ming, so we could work this out.

The problem was it had to be today, now actually. The four of them were leaving tonight to go visit Ming's and Yo's pack for the Lunar New Year holiday. Kit and Pha had gone straight to their dorms after our last exam to finish getting ready to leave, but Kit said Ming would be running late. His last exam didn't finish up till after 6pm, it was only 5pm now.

So here I am, waiting outside the Engineering building for Ming to come out. If he's still angry this could turn out bad for me, but I have to try.

--------------------

MING'S POV

Thank god, I'm finally done. The exam wasn't as hard as I feared, but it certainly wasn't easy. I'm glad it's over.

Now, we have the three-day weekend ahead of us and I'm looking forward to visiting the pack and introducing Kit to my parents. I know he's nervous, but everyone is going to love him.

Hurrying so I can make it to the dorm quickly, I rush outside the faculty building, but someone calling my name slows my steps. I look around and my eyes fall on P'Beam. Stopping, I watch as he starts jogging towards me. What does this guy think he's doing? I'm still pissed about the way he acted. Why's he even here? I know Kit warned him not to approach me.

"N'Ming, please, can I talk to you for a few minutes?"

"I'm in a hurry right now. Maybe some other time." I say to try and brush him off.

"Please, N'Ming! Just a few minutes. I have to try to work this out, and no one will let me talk to Yo."

"Why would we? You royally screwed it up last time."

"I know, and I just want the chance to fix it. Just a few minutes, please."

Looking down at my watch, I glance back up at Beam, considering his request. I can spare a few minutes to listen to him. I know it will make Kit happy, if we can find a way to settle this. "Alright, let go back inside. We can find a classroom to talk in, but I don't have long."

---------------------

It doesn't take Beam long to say his piece, and I stand and listen carefully. He seems genuinely sorry, but I'm not sure I'm ready to let this go yet.

"P'Beam, I can see you're sorry, but honestly that's not enough. What's to keep this from happening again. This is the second time and there cannot be a third. As Yo's Guardian, I have to make the best decision for him, and I'm not sure letting you back into his circle is best for him.

"N'Ming, give me a chance. Let me apologize at least."

"I'll have to talk to Pha about this, so I can't promise you anything, but I'll at least consider it. Maybe when we get back from the holiday we can discuss this more. But for now, I really need to go. Everyone is waiting for me."

"Fine, I understand. Thank you for at least listening to me."

As I'm leaving the classroom, I see Forth at the end of the hallway, walking towards me. "Hey N'Ming, I thought you had already left. Isn't Kit waiting for you?"

"Yes, I'm going to meet him now. I needed to have a quick conversation with Beam before I left though."

"Beam? Isn't he Pha's friend, why did..." Forth's sentence is cut off as Beam exits the classroom. He's staring at Beam with a look of confusion on his face.

Glancing back at Beam, I can see he's staring at Forth and sniffing at the air. Uh Oh, what I think is happening cannot be happening right now. I step back out of the way just in case though.

Forth takes three large steps forward and grabs Beam by the arms. Leaning in, he shoves his nose into the crook of Beams neck and inhales. He looks up at Beam and his eyes flash over to golden for a second before he growls out the word I was dreading to hear, "Mine. My mate"

Beam looks startled and a little indignant, "I don't belong to you!"

Forth's is quickly nose-to-nose with Beam, "You're my mate." His fingers tighten on Beam's arms and he growls out. "Are you denying me?"

Beam might be fighting it, but I can see the mating heat already has ahold of him. "I didn't say that! Just give me a damn minute."

"No." Forth grabs Beam's hand and starts pulling him from the building. No more conversation needed.

I, on the other hand, scramble for my phone and call Yo. The phone rings through to voice mail. I hang up and call Pha, he answers after a couple of rings.

"Hey, where are you..."

Immediately interrupting him, I yell, "Stop! Where's Yo? I need to talk to him right now!"

"N'Ming, what is..."

"Pha, I'm serious! Right Now! Put Yo on the damn phone!"

There's some mumbling in the background, then Yo comes on the line. "Ai'Ming what's the matter?"

"Yo you need to put up a block against Forth right now. Cut the link with him if you can." I demand.

"Ai'Ming you know I can't cut the links, I..."

"Listen Yo this is serious. If you can't cut the link, put up every mental barrier you have to block out Forth right now and don't let them slip even a tiny bit."

"Ok but tell me what's happening. What's going on?"

"Forth just found his mate."

------------------

A/N:

Finally Forth x Beam. How was it? Don't worry we'll catch up with them soon and see how they're doing...  <grin> 

10.08.2017

Edited:  03.31.2018   9:12 pm  US CST