Morgan

It was time, Morgan knew. They deserved to know, to understand where she came from and to understand why her resolve ran so deep. She lifted her eyes to meet all of theirs, two onyx, one dark brown, another stunningly blue. 

"Are there any questions you have before I begin?" 

Fenrys leaned forward, copying her position. "Are you going to explain why you called Maeve your grandmother?" 

Aelin blinked beside her, masking her surprise well. Whatever background she possessed had taught her a few things. Morgan just nodded, took in a breath, and began.

"My mother was a witch. A powerful one, as her parents were. She was also an outcast because of her mother's choice of who would sire her child. Her mother had fallen in love with a Fae male, and when my mother was born, she had pointed ears and elongated canines. Witches had avoided having children with the Fae for centuries because no one knew exactly what would happen to the child. With witches having mixed ancestry, they were worried the child would have defects, and in many cases they did. But my mother was healthy. Instead of being hailed as a miracle of birth, she and her mother were thrown out as outcasts for having done such a thing. My mother was considered a freak, and grew up knowing that. But her mother worked with her on her magic, making her far more powerful than any matron known at the time. I think that she knew why they had been thrown out. They had been made outcasts in fear of what the child would become if she survived. And survive she did. Her mother ended up being hunted down and killed, and my mother swore she would seek vengeance. That was what led her across many countries, searching for who was responsible for her mother's death. This was when the land was still new, and it was a dangerous place. But she never was afraid. This was around the time that Erawan came into the world."