Rowan

Rowan felt like he was standing worlds away from Aelin, even as he kept that hand on her back, steadying her, should she need it. Behind him, Morgan was gathering people towards the mirror, to wait their turn to speak to their dead. He didn't miss when she put Gavriel and Elide next to each other. He could only guess about who they would be seeing, and likely soon. Rowan wondered if the male had heard Orlon's last words.

"Fireheart," the mirror murmured, and Rowan whipped his gaze around and felt shock numb him as he stared into what seemed like Aelin's reflection. He felt a shudder run through her body, and then she was leaning towards the mirror, tears again streaming down her face. He moved his hand to her shoulder, to keep her from touching the mirror. He didn't want to know what would happen to her if she came into contact with that smooth, dark surface. He noticed the moment her mother saw that touch, and soon met her eyes. They were Aelin's eyes; Ashryver eyes.

"So you found her," she whispered, gaze dropping to that hand on her daughter's shoulder.

"Yes," he answered thickly. "I did."

"I'm glad you did," Aelin's father said softly, dragging Rowan's gaze towards him.

Aelin was just staring, staring at the two of them. Her bottom lip wobbled, and she bit it, blue eyes shining.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. Her father swiftly pinned her with his stare.

"You do not have to be. Nothing, I repeat, nothing, about that night was your fault." Aelin's shoulders began shaking.

"I should have been there," Aedion breathed, eyes darting between Aelin and her parents.

Evalin Ashryver smiled at her cousin's son. "It was not your fault either, Aedion. It was orchestrated down to the last minute. If you had been there, you would have died too."

"I should have gone with you," Aelin choked out. Her parent's eyes flashed, and Rowan could have sworn her mother leaned forward, as if she was going to embrace her.

"No," she whispered, and Rowan noted the arm her husband looped around her waist. As if to keep her from toppling forward.

"No, no, no, Aelin. You were meant to live. Live and be happy."

Aelin raised her silver-lined eyes to her parents. "I miss you." Her voice cracked, and Rowan felt it echo in his heart.

"We miss both of you," Rhoe Galaythius responded. "All of you. I'm sorry we didn't have enough time together, as a family."

Rowan felt Aelin shift, and he saw her slowly pull the Amulet of Orynth from under her shirt. Her mother put a hand to her mouth at the sight of it.

"I still have it," Aelin croaked out. "It was taken from me, but I got it back."

"We heard," her father whispered. "We heard every word that you said to Orlon."

"So you know, then," she whispered, her voice becoming quieter with every word. Her mother's eyes blazed.

"We know that there is no way that you are dying," she said shrilly. Aelin laughed quietly.

"You all say that, but there is no alternative. If it has to be me, to save millions of people, then it will be me." Her parents looked close to breaking.

"It will not be you," Rowan growled.

"He's right," Aedion added. "None of us will let it be you."

"But," Aelin began to tremble again. "I was promised."

"Not you," Aedion said again. "It called for blood that is shared in both your house and Dorian's."

"And mine," breathed voice behind him. Rowan turned, feeling Aelin and Aedion doing the same. Morgan breezed towards them, golden eyes dim.

"The Fae male whose power was hellfire; he was blessed by Mala, when she was still new. Some consider him to be the precursor to Brannon himself. A male whom Mala did not love, but respected. Plus, I have the blood of all of the races running through me. There is no way that they will not accept me."

Rowan didn't let himself trust what he was hearing.

Aelin turned her blazing eyes to Morgan.

"You're going to sacrifice yourself for me?" she breathed.

"I'm going to do everything in my power to try," Morgan answered. "And if they will not let me I will make them."

Rowan more felt than heard that promise, a bond made of steel. Aelin stared, tears running down her face.

"Why?" she whispered

"Because I have lived a very long life, and yours should be three times that. Because of what you have endured and all who you love and all who loves you."

Rowan stared numbly at Morgan, whose golden eyes were shining as she looked at Aelin. He felt Galena move to take Morgan's hand.

"But your daughter," Aelin choked out, inclining her head towards that angular face so like the male standing in the corner, watching.

"My daughter knows that I have made up my mind," Morgan answered unflinchingly. Galena nodded, squeezing her mother's hand.

"Promise me one thing, Mother," Galena interjected, facing eyes near-twin to her own. "That before you go, you will tell me everything, including the subject that you have evaded for so long." 

Morgan smiled sadly. "I will tell you everything, including the fact that your father is standing in this very room."

Galena started, and Rowan fought his urge to turn to find Lorcan. That would work itself out. Morgan squeezed her daughter's hand and then released it, turning back to the mirror, Rowan's attention refocusing as well. Aelin's parents gripped each other, each staring at Morgan with tears flowing down their faces.

"Thank you," Rhoe Galaythius whispered. Morgan inclined her head, and gestured for them to continue.

"I'm afraid that we are not much help in this, but Brannon is in this line, my dear, and this time he knows that Maeve is Valg," her mother sighed, running a hand through her golden hair. Rhoe turned to Aedion.

"You now know why we pushed you so hard, and sometimes we think we may have pushed too much. We love you Aedion, so much, and we're sorry."

"Do not be sorry," Aedion replied gruffly, and Rowan's mouth twitched as the male fought back tears. "You did what you had to, and all of your training paid off in the end."

Evalin smiled softly. "This is not the end, Aedion." Her gaze shifted to her daughter, then to Rowan himself. "This is not the end for any of you."

Aelin stared at her parents, at the faces she had lost so long ago.

"I love you. I didn't say it enough before, and I regret that every day. I love you both." Rowan fought his urge to hug her tightly to his chest at the cracking in her voice.

Evalin and Rhoe smiled sadly, and as their image began to fade, they gave Aelin one last message. "We love you too; our Fireheart."