Chapter 1 The Past is Unforgettable

Leaning on my sink, I stare at myself in the bathroom mirror that’s blotched with steam due to my recent shower. I trace my claw scratch scar that runs downs my porcelain skin from my brow bone to my jawline. Three marks that will forever remind me of what I really am. Three marks that will forever remind me of who my father really is. We’re monsters.

Once I was born my father found out right away. You’d be surprised how fast gossip travels in the werewolf world. I mean it’s not every day that a half breed is born. He paid off a couple of other rogues to come finish me and my mom off. That’s sort of how we met Forest. His brother Keegan is a hunter. Let’s just say Keegan looks like a combination between Kellan Lutz and Johnny Depp, unlike his brother who looks like Jack Nicholson when he was in the Shinning. Anyway long story short Keegan picked up the trail on the rogues one day while he was hiking and killed them off, but before he did so, one of the wolves was able to sneak a move and swipe at my face that was resting on my mother’s shoulder, as she was trying to get into the our shabby little wooden house. Now I’m blind in my right eye. It looks odd since my right eye is more or so white and my left is dark green. Yep, I’m officially a freak inside and out.

I finish getting ready for the event that I’m attending tonight. The spectacular event that I luckily get to attend is the Mating Ceremony. Now it’s really not as dirty as it sounds. In fact there are no sexual actions going on during the event. Only one of the Alphas of each pack, no matter their packs status, gets to be the center of attention for the night. She-wolves that don’t already have a mate are assembled and come forth before one of the 'oh so great' Alphas. This way it’s easier and faster for the Alphas to find their Lunas.  Although some don’t have to go through this process because they have already found their mate. Right now the only Alphas that don’t have a mate are three of the Guardian Alphas: Blake Shulte, Drew Clark, and my personal favorite Anthony Parcell who is in fact tonight’s star of the show.

Anthony and I are mates. We met two years ago when I was fifteen and Anthony was nineteen at an Elder Council meeting. I was once again put under discretion for kicking Cecilia’s ass. I didn’t like her. Not at all. We’ve always had a rivalry and still do and probably will even when we’ve died and gone to hell. Anyway, Anthony was there because both his grandma and grandpa on his Dad’s side were on the council. He will too in the future so he needs to go every once and awhile to get experience or whatever.

We caught eyes as I went out of the meeting room. A shiver went down my spine when we he passed. I was taken a back and nervous as hell so I zoomed out of there. No one seemed to notice. While I was running down the corridor Anthony had stopped me by grabbing a fistful of my dark brown curls and yanking them back so he could push me up against the wall. I was scared shitless. I had no idea what was going on. He pressed up against me roughly. I can still feel to this day the feeling of his hot breath drifting down my neck.

“We need to talk about this,” he huskily whispered in my ear. I was so overcome with so many emotions I didn't dare speak. I simply nodded my head in response closing my eyes, suddenly loving the feeling of his body up against mine. He chuckled at my body’s response to his.

“I got a little virgin for my mate. Too bad I won’t be able to break you in babe. I bet you feel so good too.” I gulped. I had never had a guy that close to me before. I didn’t know what to do. I began to squirm around and by doing that I accidentally rubbed up against something that maybe I shouldn’t have rubbed against. Anthony then growled a deep throaty growl he pulled back his face from the hollow of my neck and looked me in the eyes. His eyes were pure gold now instead of their usual brown color. He pushed me into the wall even harder then, while squeezing my upper arms tightly in his rough hands. He let go of my arms and captured my throat in one of his hands so I was dangling off the floor, his eyes still piercing gold.

“I reject you Fay O’Conner as my mate. You got that? I don’t want to look at you, smell your scent, or even acknowledge your existence. Never tell anyone of this. I am not your mate and never will be.” His stare felt like it was piercing my soul. It was as if he could see my whole life story when he looked into them. I nodded sharply, pleading silently for a gasp of air. He threw me to the floor and calmly walked away.

I whimpered in pain. The pain I felt was not from the bruises that he had given me from his rough handling but from his rejection. It was the worse pain I’ve ever felt in my life. My whole body was on fire. My stomach felt like it was going to fall out of my butt. I could barely pick myself off from the floor. I leant against the cool wooden wall for assistance. I just felt my eyes drenched with tears that began to streak my cheeks. I didn’t want to cry. I never cried for anything. Even when I was born I didn’t cry. I didn’t know what was going on with me. This emotion of complete and total loss was something I’ve never felt before. It scared me more than anything. I got out of the building finally and I began to walk down the steps. It felt like someone punched me in the gut repeatedly. I lost my footing and fell down the stairs. When I finally landed at the bottom my body convulsed and I started puking.

I don’t really remember how I got home that day, but I do remember seeing Anthony peering at me from the third story window. He was smiling at the sight of me being weak. His eyes animalistic. I will never forget that expression. I thought that a mate was supposed to be there to catch you when you fall not to laugh at you while your down.

'