Chapter 13 Change

I felt Anthony’s breathing go ragged after I questioned him about his scars. This intense and overwhelming emotion was radiating off of him even though I knew he was trying to hide it. We both weren't ones for emotion let alone showing any weak emotion.

“That’s what I wanted to talk to you about Faith. Being in a high positioned family means there are a lot of secrets and some of these secrets should be kept as such but there are few that I think you should know,” he said grimly. I just stayed silent urging him to go on.

“I can understand why you hate me. Hell I even hate me, but there is more to the story of my rejection of you. It was not by choice Faith by all means it was not and I want to make that clear to you. I knew you were my mate even before you realized I was.

I was just a kid at the time and since I was meant to be a very important and strong figure in our world the Elder Council wanted to know who my mate to be was. They had called in Brona to give us a glimpse of my mate and well she did her thing that she does and boom through the smoky image there you were snuggling with your mom.

Everyone knew who you were of course. I mean why would the Elder Council not know of the product between a rouge and a human that was mated to one of our own at one time.

The Council was outraged it was you who was to be mine. Especially grandmother, oooh you should’ve seen her face,” he laughed a little at the last part. I couldn’t help but slightly giggle too. Our light laughs covered up the tension between the two of us that was uncontrollably high.

I was unacceptable as his mate because of my rouge status.

“Wait a minute. Now that I think about it. It makes so much more sense now!”

“What does? I don’t exactly follow you Fay.”

I pulled away from him and he turned around to face me looking like a lost pup. It made me smile and blush even at how cute his face was. I bit my lip and looked down feeling uncomfortable.

“Erm that uh you guys haven’t exactly killed me yet. Since I was your mate my rouge status didn’t get me executed.” Anthony just bursted out laughing. Geez, I didn’t know my murder was so amusing.

Finally he stopped and stared down at me humorously, “ well why do think they didn’t kill you before?”

Letting out an annoyed sigh, “I always thought the Council had sympathy towards my family and thought I was pathetic so they just kind of let me be I guess.”

“They do find you pathetic and maybe have a little sympathy but in no way does my grandmother feel any sort of sympathy towards you.”

“Psh, tell me something I don’t know. So what else is there to your secretive life?” I mused while falling back on the bed. He went to lay beside me both of us just staring up at the ceiling.

We just laid there in silence for a few moments. I didn’t want to push him. The more information the better.

“Those scars,” he started and I reached over and grabbed his hand in mine, “That’s my wolf, he’s pissed off at me for not accepting you and I understand why. So I’m literally beating myself up for it. When I sleep my wolf sneaks out of my subconscious and makes me scratch myself. It’s weird I know but that’s how it is. Some nights are worse than others. That’s usually why I don’t sleep. I’m paranoid all the time.

It’s not completely my wolf’s fault for being angered at my choice. My grandma is reopening my wolf’s emotions about the rejection and then well…scratching happens.”

I shook my head in disbelief. Why would Shirley do that to her own grandson. It makes no sense.

“Why would she do that though?”

“She says I deserve it for having you as my mate. Somehow she can get into my mindset and trigger my wolf. I don’t know how exactly but she can. There’s more to her than you know Fay. You shouldn’t piss her off like you do. You’re dealing with someone just as powerful as Brona even but, barely anyone knows it so she’ll have the element of surprise on her side in times of war or execution.”

I knew she was a fucking psycho. I just never thought she was this much of a psycho. Call the psych ward affective immediately please.

“Grandpa knows what she does but does nothing to stop it. For some reason I feel like grandma has this guilt thing over him and he just can’t break away from it, even for me. I know it kills him, but he just can’t.”

I got up on my elbow to face him abruptly. What an idiot I have here.

“That’s bullshit though.” He cupped my cheek and brushed his thumb slowly on my skin.

“It doesn’t matter Fay. It’s just how things are,” he replied solemnly with a sad smile. I covered his hand with my own.

“This whole thing is bullshit and you know it. The Council your grandparents and just everything. Just stop being such a pussy and tell them off. Be the Alpha. Otherwise your whole life will be completely meaningless Anthony.”

He sighed and pulled away from me laying back while rubbing his face with his hands.

“It’s just not that simple Fay. So many things are going on right now that you don’t even know of and honestly I think something is up with Brona. Now wait a seconf and don’t get all pissy just hear me out.

I seriously think she’s up to something Fay. I know about your little plans with her having to do with me and don’t give me that look. I overheard you and her talking last night. Did you really think I was asleep? That doesn’t even matter, but I think she wants us to be apart for a reason. I’m not sure what but I think this is  bigger than both you or me.”

“Whatever, you’re crazy.”

“Am I Fay? Then how come she didn’t tell you that I already knew you were my mate and that we couldn’t be together based on my grandparents and the Council’s thoughts not my own. Why would she let you hate me so much or let you think that I didn’t want you and let you wallow in pain? It makes no sense to me since she loves you so much and all,” he finally finished and was practically yelling the last part.

I stood up and began to pace the bedroom. He technically did have a point. I just didn’t think of it that way. My thoughts over the Brona debate consumed me.

Anthony grabbed me from behind and had me sit on his lap as I configured what was happening. I rested my head on his shoulder and snuggled into his neck as his arms consumed me. We were left in a comfortable silence just questioning ourselves.

The big question was though…what was Brona up to?

“Ugh stupid dogs,” I sighed annoyed. I threw my mirror and it shattered right above Thymer’s head. He laughed at my brutal actions.

“Woah there what happened? The two almas not doing things as you planned? Too bad, but I can’t say I’m surprised at all,” he went on before taking a bite of his apple. His legs were propped up upon the coffee table even though he knew I hated that. I kicked at his legs making him choke on the chunk of apple for a second.

I heard a ‘hey’ as I stomped off back to my bedroom.

Anthony and Fay becoming closer ruins everything I'm striving for. I just have to intercept Anthony’s love for Fay or somehow put things back into my favor. A small smile crossed my lips as a plan started to form inside my head.

I’m thinking I like this one better than the last one. A lot better. Poor little doggies. I'll have them eating out of the palm of my hand just as they should be.