Chapter 3

***Fifteen years ago***

Tap. Tap. Tap. Elena could not help but to tap her feet excitedly. It was her twelfth birthday after all. In her small room, decorations were placed. While patiently waiting for her parents to arrive, she could not help but to smile. After all, this is the day she was born.

A silent knock resonated in the whole room. A man in his early thirties walked up next to her. His eyes had a stormy gray shade that looked like it shined really brightly. His nose had the same shape as hers. A clean polo shirt made him look like professor. The man's facial features were too soft for a man. In fact, he was gorgeous.

"How is my little princess?" the man added.

"I'm very fine father. I had a fun time waiting for you." Elena sweetly replied. "By the way father, where is mom?"

"Your mother is just downstairs. Do not worry about her. She will be here shortly." He added with a smile that made Elena smile with happiness.

For a few minutes, they had a fun time talking together. In fact, her father even danced in front of her.

After her father's dancing, a woman in her mid-thirties came inside. She wore a plain white dress that was covered with an apron. Nevertheless, she was still looking youthful and beautiful. Her flaxen skin shone brilliantly as if it was really otherworldly. Warm hazel eyes met her furrowed eyebrows. Confusion was so evident in her eyes when she saw their laughter and peculiar movements.

"What is this commotion all about?"

The woman flashed a smile that could turn into a laugh in any minute. It was a smile that could have the capacity to melt the heart of anyone who would look at her. This was one of the things that were so trivial for Elena's young mind. She could not understand why everyone would smile if her mother smiled. It was perhaps she was ethereally beautiful.

"I am so sorry Mother. I could not help but to laugh at Father because he is very funny." Elena answered in between her laughter.

"Okay little Grandmother, your apology is already accepted." A gentle smile concluded her explanation.

The next hour became one of Elena's best memories. The three of them had a fun time talking and mingling with each other. Elena could not help but to feel like she was floating in the sky. She felt really ecstatic.

That moment was suddenly interrupted by the abrupt ringing of the doorbell. Slowly, her father motioned to take a look at the surprise visitor. Soft footsteps echoed until it gradually vanished.

One. Two. Three. Two minutes have passed. Her father has not yet returned.

A gentle hand softly touched Elena's tiny shoulders.

"Elena darling, I would be right back. I will just check what is happening down there."

Slowly, Elena nodded. As light as a feather, her mother walked fast but soundlessly. Elena could not help but to wonder how her mother could do that.

A part of her wanted to follow her mother but another part of her feared to disobey her. After a while, loud footsteps hurriedly went towards her room. Elena gasped nervously. She could not help but to let tears flow into her eyes.

At the door, a familiar shadow loomed in the dark corner of the hallway. That person had a gush of blood on the left shoulder. The flowing of the blood did not stop.