c h a p t e r t w o : t h i s w a y i t c o m e s

t h i s   w a y   i t   c o m e s

t h i s w a y i t c o m e s

d o m i n i k

"Everything seems to be complete. Each pack has sent their requirements for the year," he paused, "except the Tacete pack, as usual." I could hear the frustration in my right hand man's voice as I looked up just in time to see him roll his eyes in exasperation as he went through the countless of folders that laid stacked on my office table.

I hummed nonchalantly in response and signed one of the last documents that needed of my approval before I focused on the situation at hand. I leaned heavily back against my leather chair, elbows on the armrests as my right hand's thumb was under my chin whilst my forefinger was curled just below my nose; my thoughts wandering off to the unfrequented pack.

True to their name, they aspired to be as silent as they could be, as they'd go as far as to even refuse to follow protocol and give updates to us, to me, their Alpha Enforcer.

I clicked my tongue in distaste at the blatant show of disrespect, making my wolf growl in agreement as he paced in agitation.

For a pack that only consisted of roughly seventy members, they sure have tested my patience more than I'd come to admit.

"Have you checked the records of the past alpha enforcers like I commanded you to?"

"Yes," Zeno sighed and handed me a stapled bundle of papers, "and the Tacete pack had complied accordingly before, but for the past sixteen years, it looks as if they've mostly closed off any connections to the Were community and kept entirely to themselves."

"And Aalexi allowed this?" I raised a brow in question.

My mentor was an austere man, I hardly believe that he would let things like these pass him by. He'd devoted his life to making sure that every werewolf in his hold obeyed the laws and rules that the Elders had administered, punishing and disciplining those who dared to defy it as his job has required him to.

"Aalexi and Killian were great friends, sources say, and being the Alpha Enforcer before you, he had the power to excuse Killian from anything that his friend requested of him." Zeno shrugged and slumped on his seat. "I don't know why he'd let the Tacete pack's alpha take advantage of their friendship like that, but personally knowing him, you and I both know that Aalexi wouldn't have done this without reason."

I didn't respond, nor did I needed to as I scanned the documented records on each page, flipping from one paper to another until I stopped at the very last one. It marked the last date of Killian's report, the seventeenth of August in 2001, and at the bottom was his signature and that was it. Sighing, I continued to stare at it before I checked today's date.