c h a p t e r e l e v e n : p r e c i o u s b a b y

p r e c i o u s   b a b y

p r e c i o u s b a b y

i s l a

"I don't understand how you are all okay with this!" Caleb shouted in frustration as I nibbled quietly on the last bits of a recently baked cookie.

Everyone in our immediate family was in the kitchen after I mind-linked them that I made a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies; after I was sure that every pup in the pack had one or two, of course. Caleb had woke up, coincidentally, at the same time and came marching in here with a red face.

I was sitting on daddy's lap and almost sung fee-fi-fo-fum as bubba entered but I only got to 'fee' before daddy pressed his thumb against my lips.

It made me want to suck it, but I resisted like a good girl. And then trouble ensued when Caleb went off on us.

"And I don't honestly see the problem." Mama shrugged her shoulders and gestured to papa who was drinking a cup of coffee with his treat. "I call your father papi sometimes, I'm not hearing anyone complaining!"

My jaw comically went slack as you could probably hear a pin drop at how quiet it was. I was tempted to test that theory with my hairpin but I didn't want to get scolded.

Not by them anyway.

Fingers under my chin made me close my mouth as familiar lips brushed against my ear. "Close your mouth, babygirl. Or I might put something else inside there myself."

It was barely a whisper, just enough for me to hear it so I blushed and leaned back, turning my head to embarrassingly bury my face on the crook of daddy's neck with a pout as he shook lightly with silent laughter at my reaction. It wasn't fair that he was making me this tingly. I made him delicious and warm cookies!

But then again he did say that he wanted a different kind of cookie from me.

"Qué?" I can hear mama ask with an irritated tone. "You think your father and I don't partake in you younger generation's trends? Well, sorpresa! We do! And another thing-"

"I think they've heard enough, honey." Papa intercepted with a cough.

"And you, why are you acting all shy? You love it when I call you papi!"

I heard chairs scraping against the wood floor and I peeked just enough to see Mason abruptly leave with Jessie following closely behind him, mouthing the words 'goodluck' to us before scurrying away with the last plate of cookies.

"Are you kidding me?!" Caleb suddenly roared from his place standing by the end of the table.

Was it too late to escape as well?