Chapter Twelve

~ Kaiden's POV ~

I couldn't sleep, it was one of those nights. Everything seemed louder than it was, I tossed and turned yet never found a comfortable position. With blankets on it was too hot but without them was too cold. I was this way throughout the night. I sighed, facing Felix who slept soundly. His scars seemed to be brighter in the moon light. I heard sniffles, Felix jolted slightly. I leaned over him, close to his face, and saw slight tears in his eyes. I frowned, he must be having a bad dream.

This went on for a while, I touched his shoulder gently. Running my hands over his heated back. He flinched, tossing his head slightly and groaning. He suddenly jolted violently and I heard him breathing heavily. I pretending like I was sleeping, watching him lean up in cold sweat. After a moment, he went into the bathroom and put on a shirt and his necklace which he touched gently. He walked out and I saw him sitting on the grass outside, I sat up.

'What could've caused a nightmare so bad that the big-bad street fighter cried?' I thought to myself. It must've been really bad and really personally. My thoughts were torn between going back to sleep or going out to ask questions. I weighed out the pros and cons. Pro, I could earn some 'nice' points. Con, I might be beaten up.
Pro, I could know a bit more about him. Con, I could know a bit more about him. I heard a sneeze, looking out the window I saw him shiver slightly in the cool autumn breeze. Deciding to go out, I pulled off my quilt and trudged downstairs. Opening the back door, Felix didn't raise their head. I plopped on Felix's other side and wrapped him in the warm quilt with me.

"Thanks" he mumbled after some time, leaning his head against me.

"You alright?" I asked, he nodded as he took off his glasses and moved his head more into me. Soon, his breath became even and his eyes stilled. I felt uncomfortable but I didn't want to wake him so I sat like that until my back hurt. I slowly moved down so I was lying on the grass, the quilt wrapped around us and Felix's head still on my shoulder. He shifted in his sleep slightly but never woke. Bexan moved to be lying near our heads, I gave him a scratch before I also fell asleep.

~

I awoke in the morning, Felix still asleep and the neighbours brown tabby cat dove under the fence. I carefully moved away, unfurling myself from the warmth before making my way back inside, my back hurting from lying on the hard ground. I started making eggs and bacon after some time went by when the back door opened again. Felix trudged in, grass sticking out of his hair. I placed the plates down, picking out a piece of grass from his soft hair.

"Morning" he grumbled sitting down,

"Good morning" I chirped handing him a cup of coffee with sugar. He stared at the liquid,

"Can-can you never mention last night?" He asked,

"Only if I ask you a question" I replied. He hesitated,
"It won't be bad" I conned. He finally nodded,

"Alright, have you seen a doctor about these night terrors?" I asked. Felix shook his head,

"I'm fine, it's in the past. I don't need to do to a mental hospital because of what he did to me..." he snapped his mouth shut suddenly, his teeth clicking together leaving me stunned. Who was he? I decided not to pry, it would only hurt him more. Instead, I offered him some cutlery and he dug into breakfast.
He became very reserved after this mornings incidents. He soon packed up, thanking me and began walking back home.

"You sure you don't want a lift?" I asked watching him jump over the fence.

"I'm fine" he replied giving me a small smile,
"See you Monday" and with that he left. Walking down the street and turning the corner. I stared at the corner for a bit longer before turning back to the house. My mind was confused, I wasn't sure where to start. My phone buzzed when I went back inside, Skye's name flashed across my screen.

'Sorry for the last time I saw you. Meet up at the diner in an hour?' The text said. I bit my lip, hesitating before finally texting back a simple okay. I hopped in the shower, quickly washing myself before changing into some skinny jeans and a long sleeved v-neck shirt. By the time I had finished, the front door opened. Peeking down the stairs, I saw my father washing his face in the kitchen sink, looking up at the dark clouds in the distance.

"Hey" I called, he whipped around on high alert before calming down.

"Hello Kaiden, was there much trouble?" He asked, I shook my head as I came back downstairs.

"Non, how about you?" I asked,

"... I'm worried" he admitted rubbing the back of his neck and leaning against the sink.

"About what?"

"About Razor" he huffed,
"That bloody street fighter has been quiet these past couple of days. Intel has said that he's only appeared in a bar every once in a while, nothing else. Last I heard, he fought but that's it"
I nodded as he complained about Felix.

"Maybe he's stopped?" I suggested, he shook his head.

"He's in too deep to leave, he used to be in a gang you know. One of the most vicious in America, he was in there for a few years but I haven't seen them make contact since" my dad explained. I bit my cheek, wanting more information about Felix's past life. I was extremely surprised about the fact that he used to be in a gang, this makes him even more terrifying.

"I, uh, got to go" I muttered, grabbing my keys and exiting the house. On my way to the diner, I couldn't stop thinking about the new fact that I had learned about Felix. I soon parked in front of the diner, entering and saw Skye slurping on a drink. I slid into the seat across from her,

"Braydon will be here soon too so let's talk quickly" she said pushing her drink aside.
"I'm sorry for what I did, it was totally wrong for both you and Braydon."

"Apology accepted" I said,

"It was a dick move, I was frustrated" she groaned before lacing her finger together and placing her chin on top.
"But I have a question, what was wrong with that nerd?"

"What nerd?" Braydon asked, sliding into the empty seat next to Skye.

"I think she means Felix" I said,
"And there's nothing wrong with him"

"But he was so cold and mean" Skye whined,
"He was completely unlike himself"

"Felix is fine" I pushed,

"What's with you Kaiden?" Braydon asked.
"You've been sticking up for that wuss for ages now. Is something going on between you two?" He pried.

".... there's nothing. We got partnered up for the English assignment at that's it" I defended, they fell silent again.

"You know, I don't think he's just the run-of-the-mill nerd" Skye said after some time. I froze, wondering what she was going to say next.
"I think he's actually a spy from the CIA coming into the school to monitor us, like undercover boss"

Thank god she's slow I thought knowing she wasn't the smartest girl in the grade.

"What do you mean he's cold and mean?" Braydon asked, Skye explained the classroom accident leaving out the bit where she practically begs for it. Braydon sat shaking his head,

"That couldn't be him, the one we're talking about is the push over Nerd" he said,
"If he's this badass like you say he is, I need to see it with my own two eyes to believe it" he snorted. I just shook my head with a small smile.