Chapter Fourteen

~ Kaiden's POV ~

After the diner incident, the weekend flew past and Monday arrived. I kept an eye out for Felix all day but I saw no signs of his copper brown hair or his hypnotic blue eyes in the crowd. Soon lunch time rolled around and I still had no idea where he was.

"Dude, you okay? You've been looking around all day" One of my other friends asked, Braydon has been silent all day as well.

"I'm fine" I replied, looking over my shoulder. I wasn't paying any attention to anything, not even Skye who was trying to get Braydon to talk.

"Come on, tell us what's wrong!" Skye groaned,
"You're almost as bad as Kaiden"

"You'll laugh at me" he grumbled.

"Just tell us" Skye pressured, I started tuning in to their conversation.

"Fine" he rubbed the back of his neck.
"I turned to some unsavoury ways of getting money"
Everyone nodded, they knew he was selling drugs in order to get money for his mothers expensive treatment. I bought some once, but I threw it away. He wouldn't accept my money without making it a transaction.

"Well, I finally have enough" he said proudly with a smile.

"Congrats!" I said slapping his back,

"Yeah but I didn't do it" his smile faded.
"The supplier got beat up and the guy stole everything of his. He told me to sell it and I got enough"

"Who beat him up?" Another asked,

"Razor"
I choked on my spit, coughing loudly.

"What?!" I cried, some people turned their heads to stare at me curiously.
"Did you see his face?!"

"Calm down, it's not like I saw who it was. He had his hoodie up"
I breathed out, relaxing.
"What? You want to catch Razor too now?"

"No, it's nothing" I waved my hands in a dismissive manner. They all looked at me weirdly before returning to their conversation just as the bell rang. I began my walk to English with Braydon.
My phone buzzed in my pocket, Felix's number flashed on screen. Quickly excusing myself, I escaped into an empty hall and answered the call.

"Felix!" I breathed,
"Where are you? I've been looking everywhere!"

".... I'm not at school" he said groggily, did he just wake up?
"Hey, Kaiden?" He asked.

"Yes?"

"I miss you" he mumbled, something in my chest jolted in surprise.

"Wha-what?"

"I need you" he said with a giggle. I heard another voice, a females.

"Sir... talk to him?" She said. Felix giggled again, I was extremely confused.

"Kai~den" he said in a sing-song voice,
"A pretty girl wants to speak to you"
There was some shuffling until I heard a small voice of a woman.

"Sorry about that, he had a lot of medication in him right now" she said.

"Medication?" I asked confused.

"He wanted you here with him, he kept calling the name 'Kaiden' which I assume is you" she explained
"But he wasn't allowed visitors until now"

"Hang on, what is going on?" I asked wanting to get a clear explanation.

"He's in hospital right now"
I froze,
"He needed stitches and some medication for his concussion"

"What happened?!" I cried probably scaring her.

"Uh, I believe he was hit by a car on Saturday evening was put in a coma until this morning where we began surgery" the nurse explained.

"Which hospital?"

"Queen Ane's"

"I'm on my way" I said, before I hung up I heard Felix excited 'yay'.
I bolted from the school, getting into my car. I didn't care about the fact that my dad would kill me for skipping school. The worst scenarios flooded my head as I drive. Finally, I pulled up at the hospital and dashed inside to the reception desk.

"I'm here to see Felix, Felix Vantor" I said to the plump woman behind the desk. Another nurse came up, a small mousy looking one.

"You must be Kaiden?" She asked, I nodded.
"Thought so, Felix said to look out for the most handsomest one with sparkling brown eyes" she chuckled as she lead me through the long white halls of the hospital. She lead me to a door,

"He's coming down from the medication but I should give you this" she handed me Felix's necklace,
"The doctors wanted to get rid of it but he refused, when they told me to get rid of it his face showed sadness and fear. Instead, I kept it for him"

"Thank you" I said entering the room, Felix laid on the white hospital bed. A bandage wrapped around his head, he was gazing off out the window.

"Hey Felix, how you feeling?" I asked pulling up a chair next to him. The room smelt sterile and seemed like any other hospital room.

".... tired" he replied, I smiled sadly before pressing his necklace in his hand. I left my hand held in his for a little longer the necessary.

"Here, the nurse saved this for you"
He looked at his hand and smiled, holding it close.

"Thank you" he mumbled,
"I'm sorry to drag you away"

"It's fine, I had already handed in the draft anyway" I said smiling, awkward silence filled the room.
"So, I have sparkling brown eyes huh?" I asked chuckling. Felix laid down, his eyes staring into my own. It was as if he could read my soul.

"They've got more sparkle then mine" he said bitterly after some time.
"Mine has seen too much shit"

"I've seen plenty. One time, my dad brought his work home. It was that day that he decided to show me what a dead body looked like" I laughed but Felix looked sadder.

"At least it wasn't your mothers body" he said sadly. My expression softened, knowing that this is another piece of information that he trusts me with.

"What do you-" I began to prob but he cut me off.

"Hey, can you hold my hand again?" He asked surprising me.
"You're warm" I hesitated but slipped my hand in his outstretched one. He smile with droopy eyes and before I knew it, he was asleep. I unconsciously rubbed his calloused knuckles with my thumb, taking in every cut bruise and scar he had. A girls hand was small and dainty yet a his hand was almost as big as mine and dry. After a while the nurse came back in, saying that once he wakes up he's free to go. I signed some paper work as best as I could with my left hand and she gave me a pill bottle filled with pain medication.
Felix shifted in his sleep once or twice but never moved his hand.

I JUST WANT TO DEDICATE THIS CHAPTER TO MY 15-YEAR-OLD DOG, BANDIT!
We made the tragic decision to put him down less than 10 hours because he was living a painful life. He is my childhood dog, our pound puppy and I love him so fucking much. He died in my arms, looking into my eyes and I miss him. I know he's at peace but I want him at peace with me!

R.I.P Bandit
October 30th 2002 - December 23rd 2017

Bandit is the Beagle cross Labrador at the back, he was about 6 years old in this pic (Rex is the brown one, he's 11 now)