01

Therefore, Callie made Quentin a promise. She would not let another one of his children die - again.

So when a crazed historian entered Oliver's mayor office during their coffee break on that fateful morning ranting about Sara and her team being in grave danger, she knew it was time for her to really step up.

//.//

"What the hell is going on out here?" Oliver shouted over the grunts of a tall dark haired man who was currently wrestling with his security guards.

Callie snorted slightly as the man flailed around in their arms, casting a panicked look between the two secret vigilantes. The dark haired girl narrowed her eyes at the fight the man was putting up, causing her to think something might actually be going on there.

"Sorry, sir, he broke through the security cordon downstairs," the bulkier guard explained, huffing as he realised he was failing in his job already. It was only his first week, and he couldn't even hold back someone claiming to be a historian.

"Only because they wouldn't let me up without an appointment, but how does a regular guy get an appointment with the Mayor anyway?" He rambled, before turning his attention back to Oliver and Callie. Both of them stood with their arms crossed as they studied the scene before them.

"And you are...?" Callie asked, trailing off as she looked him up and down.

"Heywood, Dr. Nate Heywood," he answered, holding out a hand to shake and puffing from the exercise of fighting off the guards. Seeing their unamused faces, he dropped his hand back to his side. "I'm... here to talk about Sara Lance, Ray Palmer, and the rest of the Legends. I think they're all in trouble," he explained, causing Callie's head to shoot up so quickly she almost thought her bones in her neck had snapped.

Oliver escorted Nate into his office straight away, thanking his guards and dismissing them for the time being. Callie trailed behind, closing the door and making sure there was no one lurking around outside the office before she walked back over to the boys.

"Thank you for not having me arrested back there. Those security guards really overreacted. You know, one of 'em tried to Mace me," Nate explained, reaching into his bag and pulling out a bunch of files while almost letting himself feel at home in the office.

"Dr. Heywood, I only agreed to give you five minutes, which was three minutes ago, because Ray and Sara are friends of mine, but I don't know the first thing about any Legends," Oliver snarked, trying to play it cool in front of the man. Nate scoffed as he flicked through the files in his hands.

"Of course you do, because you're the Green Arrow," Nate said as if it was the most normal sentence in the world without even looking up. "And you're the Falcon," he added, nodding his head in Callie's direction.

"Excuse me?" Oliver almost growled at the man, unsure on how he figured out their secret identities. Nate shot his head up to make eye contact with them, noticing how Callie's hand was resting on the edge of her jeans where Nate was sure a gun was tucked away. "We're done here."

"Look, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to drop a bomb on you like that, it's just, I've exhausted all my normal avenues, and you guys are the only people left who won't think I'm crazy," he softened, meeting their gazes in a pleading look. Callie crossed her arms, but kept them loose enough to allow access to her gun if she needed it. Just because Ollie didn't kill anymore didn't mean she wouldn't.

"Are you sure about that?" Callie quipped, but was ignored by Nate as he continued to stare off with Oliver.

"I'm a historian. I specialize in deductive historical reconstruction. In layman's terms, I'm a time detective, which I really don't have to be to look at a calendar to see one week after you came to this city, Robin Hood showed up," Nate explained and Callie nodded to herself slightly, understanding where he was coming from. "And Camilla, you left for years then suddenly after all of the earthquake drama Falcon suddenly appeared when you arrived back!"