epilogue

"I'd do anything for you."

Callie nodded slightly, a smile spreading on her blood stained lips as she looked at Sara for the last time.

"I like that," she murmured, before her eyes seemed to lose their focus on Sara and fall numb. The grip on her hand loosened as Sara pressed her lips gently to Callie's for what was going to be the last time.

And for what seemed like the first moment that day, silence fell across the battlefield.

//.//

"All right, so let me get this straight. In retaliation for me helping kill your team, bending reality and torturing you, I'm to wear this ridiculous outfit and shoes without socks?"

Sara smiled wickedly at Damien as he looked at her confused while motioning to the hideous white outfit he was sporting. She rolled her eyes as she crossed her arms with a small and simple shrug.

"Just setting things right," she murmured, knowing exactly what she was putting into motion. It had taken a lot for her to come to grips with what she was about to do but she understood that this was what they had all been working towards from the beginning; restoring the past and preserving the future no matter the cost.

"You mean setting me on the path to killing your sister and your girlfriend."

"I've already made that choice. I'm okay with it. And so is Laurel," Sara told the man, knowing fine well that he was trying to provoke her as he always did. Reaching into her pocket, she let her fingers curl around the memory flasher that Rip had lent them before everything had gone wrong back on the battlefield.

"And how do you know that?"

Sara ignored him, the flash causing the mans face to turn blank. As he started to return to his previous mindset Sara headed straight for the Waverider. She boarded the ship without a single glance backwards at the man.

//.//

"What the-"

"Callie! You're up!"

Callie turned her head slowly as her eyes adjusted to the bright lights of the medbay. Facing the voice, she noticed Jax smiling widely down at her. The raven-haired girl pushed herself up slightly, her mind flashing back to noticing the thick black sword that had impaled her.

Moving her hands, she tugged at the bottom of her shirt to try and find the scar that was bound to have been left - even though she was sure that she should actually be dead. When she found nothing, Callie looked at Jax in confusion.

Then she realised that she had two arms. She held her palms in front of her and turned them slowly as if she was actually having to make sure that this wasn't some optical illusion and that they were really real. Hearing a scoff from the edge of the room, Callie and Jax both turned to see Sara leaning against the doorframe with a wide smile on her face.

"You know," she started, "I think you've survived death more than I have."

Callie laughed along with her and Jax, standing up and pulling the blonde into a passionate kiss. They both broke it off laughing with delight as they remembered that everything was finally back to being okay in the world. Sara pulled her back in for a hug before she found Callie pulling away from her.

The raven-haired girl smiled as she looked between her two teammates. "I think it's time we all gathered on the bridge," she noted, causing the other two to laugh and follow her out of the medbay.

Just as they were almost there, Callie stopped suddenly as she remembered her last moments before she had supposedly died. Excusing herself quickly - and ignoring the confused look on Sara's face - she quickly darted back to her and Sara's joint room.