29

Callie knew that she wanted the girl to see her face before she died. She wanted to know that Sara knew it was her who had killed her. She wanted her to look her in the eyes the way she had looked her brother in the eyes before killing him.

Callie reached up, her fingers grasping at her mask. Sara and Callie both got ready to take the shot.

And around the Waverider, one single shot was heard.

//.//

"Must have stowed away when we left Camelot, Arthur did reckon that some of the men would be acting on their own accord in hopes of an uprising," Ray said to the rest of the team as they turned their attention away from the balaclava masked figure that had sprung from the vents at them.

Sara had shot first. The bullet had hit the target, the figure instantly dropping to the ground and releasing the gun in their hand. She ignored the body, rushing over to Nate and Mick while the rest of the team rushed back into the room at the sudden lack of noise.

Accepting her help up, Nate moved towards the bleeding body, wanting to see if it was any of the knights that he remembered who had turned on the team. Sara walked to where the rest of the team was standing, placing her arm on Amaya's arm as she asked the rest of them if they were okay and unharmed.

"Sara," Nate's voice quietly broke the conversation. It wouldn't have been a conversation stopper if it hadn't been for the tone his voice had adopted as he spoke the girls name.

He let his hand fall to the ground where he was crouching, supporting his weight as he felt the familiar lump build in his throat. The black mask was still clutches tightly in his hand, having removed it from the assailant's face. The soft material felt unnatural in his hands, especially after what he was looking at.

The platinum blonde hair had put them all off at first, but the face would never. He sat back, clutching the mask as he realised just where he was recognising the face from.

"Nathaniel?" Stein asked, hoping for an explanation as to why he was so concerned about the body lying on the ground in the bridge of the Waverider. They couldn't see what he was in shock at, for he was covering their line of sight. Ray, however, was able to see from where he had been standing at the Captain's chair.

Ray felt the colour drain from his face, moving forward to look down at the body. He gulped, turning around as Sara began to move away from the smaller group and towards the body. Ray grabbed her upper-arms, pushing her from looking.

"Ray, get off!" She shouted, confused as to why the man wasn't letting her move forward. She pushed him off, and moved into the line of sight.

Her heart stopped.

How could she have not recognised the fighting style? How could she have not realised? How could she have shot the one person who meant the world to her?

Despite the platinum blonde hair on the body, she recognised everything else. How could she not have? She had known her all her life.

Sara didn't realise she was screaming out until she felt Ray and Nate's arms wrapping around her, holding her back from the body laying on the floor. The puddle of blood that had formed around the wounded gun shot area wasn't something that was reassuring in the slightest either.

Everyone realised then.

Mick rushed forward, doing what the others had failed to do. He placed his beer down, grabbing on to the girl's wrist and pressing his fingers down. His hand moved to the base of her neck, doing the same before he sighed in relief.