Chapter 31: Snooze Button

Freelancer Off-site Storage Facility

Penny notices that she's no longer a tiny green light, and now instead a human sized green light. She takes a look at her surroundings, seeing that she is inside the facility, but no one is around.

Penny: Hello? Is anyone there?

F.I.L.S.S: Safety Protocols were initiated, please remain calm.

Penny: Oh, you are F.I.L.S.S, correct?

F.I.L.S.S: Yes.

Penny: What is this place?

F.I.L.S.S: Your operator has been injured or incapacitated, and you are now in Recovery Mode. You will remain in this state until such time as you can be extracted by a Recovery Agent, or your operator regains consciousness.

Penny: Wait, you didn't send out a recovery beacon, right? Because that would attract unwanted people...

F.I.L.S.S: Recovery beacons only arm once a unit leaves the facility. This unit has yet to leave this facility. Therefore we must first-

Penny: Pardon me for interrupting you, but am I the only one currently here?

F.I.L.S.S: No, I identify at least two more people here.

Penny: I see... And where would these people be?

F.I.L.S.S: The two of them are currently around the corner to your right.

Penny: Thank you.

Penny walks to the edge of the corner and peeks at the two people around the corner. She sees a cobalt armored soldier and a black armored soldier, who she identifies as Church and Tex.

F.I.L.S.S: Would you like me to relay communication through external chabnels?

Penny: No, thank you. I would just like to hear what he is saying, please.

F.I.L.S.S: Affirmative, you may now hear what he is saying.

Penny: Thank you.

Penny eavesdrops on what Church says.

Church: Yeah, yeah I got it. Is that Tex?

F.I.L.S.S: Affirmative. Technically, she is not present in this environment, but if you would like to speak to her I can relay communication through external channels.

Church: Yes, please.

F.I.L.S.S: I am sorry but she has refused the connection. She should not be able to do that.

Church: Yeah, that's not surprising. Can you force it through?

F.I.L.S.S: I can try, but I would not recommend that action.

Church: Beacuse it might damage her?

F.I.L.S.S: No, I just have learned that when a woman wants to be alone, it is best to leave her alone.

Church: Yeah, good call. Hey get me out of this but, uh, leave her in here until I figure out what to do with her.

F.I.L.S.S: Suit your self.

Tex looks at Church.

Church: Uhh, she didn't hear that did she?

F.I.L.S.S: Unclear.

Church: I thought you weren't relaying my messages?

F.I.L.S.S: Recovery Mode: Disabled.