Chapter 1

(Y/n)'s POV

The sunlight glistened as the water drops slid down the leaves. The sound of the water hitting against the rocks and the sound of small animals playing filled my ears.

Carefully, I took my shoes off and dipped them into the cool, spring lake. The sky was so blue today, yet why did it feel as if there was no sky at all?

"As usual, you're here thinking about your life," exclaimed Ah Ro.
"Yeah...but what brings you here?"
"I came to check on you. Look at all the scratches! You have to get them treated right away, or else they'll become infected!"
"Ah Ro, you're worrying too much. Honestly, this is nothing compared to the other times."

She looked at me with a frown on her face. I reached out and pinched her cheeks.

"Yah, let go!"

I laughed and pat her head as if she was a little girl.

"Shouldn't you get back? I heard that your brother was hurt after he returned."
"Oh right! I have to prepare the meal! Sorry, let's talk next time!"

She abruptly left. I smiled. Maybe I should go back as well. It wasn't like there was anything to do here in the afternoon.

~Some time later~

I had arrived back in town and was looking through all the different stalls. If only I had enough money to buy these things but father took away everything I had earned. Now everyone thought that I was some kind of psychopath and were too scared to approach me.

"Excuse me, do you happen to know where Ah Ro lives?"

I turned around and came face to face with a young man.

"Yeah, I'll take you there. But why do you need her?"
"I'm her older brother, Sun Woo."
"O-older brother?!"
"Y-yeah..."
"Ah, sorry. I'll take you there right away, she must be worried."

The walk back was a little awkward. I didn't know how to start a conversation. I was a very boring person so there was nothing for me to talk about that could interest someone else. I sometimes do wonder why Ah Ro still stuck with me after all these years...

"Here we are."
"Thank you-"
"Oh, (Y/n)? You're here as well? Why don't you come eat with us?" Ah Ro asked.
"Sorry, I can't today. My father...is probably wondering where I am right now."
"I see...stay safe, okay?"

I faked a smile and nodded, acting as if everything was fine. Most people already knew of the abuse my father put me through but I guess what they didn't know was how painful it was.

When I arrived back home, my father immediately told me sit down in front of him. To be honest, I was afraid. Afraid to go home everyday and afraid of the outcomes of these little everyday problems.

"(Y/n), where have you been all day long? As far as I know, you have no jobs and no one is willing to hire you."
"I was just resting in the forest."
"What the hell would you do in a forest?!"
"I-I talk to the animals-"
"Stop talking nonsense!"

He immediately stood up and slapped me. Straight after, he pulled at my hair and kicked me out of the chair.

"I've raised you ever since you were 6! Why are you so ignorant and bothersome?!"

Tears slid down my cheeks. I couldn't help but feel that...I should've never let him take me.

Ah Ro's POV

That was a good meal. But now that I think about it, (Y/n) only got one meal a day and that meal only consisted of one bowl of rice.

"Hey, what are you thinking about?" Sun Woo asked.
"Nothing much."

It has already been a week since we were reunited.

"What happened to that (Y/n) girl? She seemed a little worried."
"*nervous laugh* D-don't worry about her. She's fine."

Suddenly, he moved closer so that our noses were almost touching.

"W-what do you want?"
"...what is it? You're hiding something from me," he stated.
"H-how can you just assume things like that?! Why would I hide anything from my brother?"
"You're avoiding eye contact."
"N-no, I'm not!"

Suddenly, he started to tickle me. Oh no, this was my weak point but I couldn't reveal what (Y/n) told me to keep a secret!

~Flashback~

"Hey Ah Ro..."
"Yeah, (Y/n)?"
"Can you...not tell your brother about the situation I'm in?"
"Hmm, why not? He won't-"
"He could end up hating me and that would be troublesome for you."
"Don't worry about it-"
"Ah Ro, promise me. I'm serious."
"*sigh* Alright, fine."

She then smiled and sighed happily.

~Flashback end~

I guess she really thought she was a burden to me...

(Y/n)'s POV

He locked me in my room. There were no windows and the door was quite sturdy. There was no way for me to knock it down.

I wanted to escape. He would be back later. Tears fell down my cheeks as I buried my face in my knees. The taste of blood in my mouth made me sick. Why couldn't I run away? Why didn't I have the courage to do it?
Yes, that's right. I was afraid of being called a coward for running away.

"What do you want?! You're seriously such a nuisance. Who in their right mind would want to come see my disgraceful daughter?"
"I'm sorry, sir but please let us see her."
"This is the only chance that you've got. Next time, don't ever come back."
"Thank you so much!"
"Oh and take this key."

Within a few seconds, Ah Ro had opened the door and rushed in. Sun Woo followed her but stayed at the entrance.

"Ah Ro, Sun Woo...what are you two doing here?!"
"Sorry (Y/n). I couldn't keep the promise," replied Ah Ro.
"You're (Y/n), right? I think you should get those wounds treated and don't assume things however you believe things to be. I would never hate Ah Ro for helping you."
"Ah Ro, did you force him to say that or what?"
"*fake laugh* What are you talking about?"
"She told me everything," Sun Woo said.

Before I could stop her, she carefully grabbed my arm and started to clean up the blood. I sighed and let her be. I couldn't stop her from doing these things.