Chapter 20

(Y/n)'s POV

~Sunset at the palace entrance~

Sun Woo and I were waiting for Ji Dwi, who was taking longer than usual. It wasn't like him to be late. I wonder where he was...

"Hey, come in. What's taking you two so long?" Ji Dwi asked from inside the palace.
"Yah, you should've told us. We were waiting for around 15 minutes," Sun Woo replied.
"You said we would meet at the entrance."
"I meant outside. We're not allowed in like you are."

Ji Dwi just sighed before pulling us inside. We followed him to the palace library, but it was strange. There weren't many guards, I expected the palace to be full of them.

"I asked all the guards to go off duty for tonight after my mother went to bed. She wasn't feeling quite well," exclaimed Ji Dwi.
"Oh..."

I looked at him, wondering how he felt about that. I didn't know the relationship he had with his mother but it didn't seem like he had a good one.

We had arrived at the library, and started to look for the books that had information on what I was. *sigh* I still couldn't believe that I wasn't human...why didn't I know about myself?

"Tch, there's nothing here," said Sun Woo.

Now that I think about it, Ji Dwi was doing nothing. He just stood there, watching us search for the books.

"You two seriously just don't know anything, do you? The books won't be found anywhere in the library, they'll be hidden here," he said while pushing back a small book.

Suddenly, the book shelf moved and revealed a hidden door.

"You could've told us earlier," Sun Woo replied while going through.

We followed him to the other side. It was surprisingly clean in here. There were no lights so we had to take lanterns in.

Once we reached the bottom of the stairs, Ji Dwi pulled down a lever which turned on the lights, revealing a room full of ancient books.

We immediately started looking for the information, without even stopping to rest. We needed to hurry, in case someone came down here.

I picked out a book that was labelled, 'The Book of Ties'. What was this? The first thought that came to mind was, 'Did this book teach you how to tie things?' It sounded stupid, and probably was, because there was no way this kind of book would be down here.
I opened it to the first page and started reading.

On the first night of the full moon of the twelve month at twelve o'clock when the being came of age, darkness will descend onto the royal family. Only the words of truth from its noble lover will stop this ancient ritual. However, it is not that simple. Whoever loves the godly being will be destined to die and perish. Once dead, the curse placed upon it will be lifted and peace will be the outcome. Choose carefully, perform the ancient ritual and destroy the royal family or ruin the lovers' peace.

What was all this? Was I the godly being? Would the royal family die in just a few days?! What would I do? To avoid this, either Ji Dwi or myself would have to die.

I flipped through the rest of the pages. There was more information regarding myself but most of it was on the steps to complete different rituals. Was there really no way to ensure that no one died?

"Hey (Y/n), I found something," exclaimed Sun Woo.

He handed me an old book that had weird inscriptions like the ones on my daggers. I gave him the book I had just read and sat down at the small desk.

If this was the language of the gods, there must be some way that I could read this. I couldn't let all our efforts go to waste.

Ji Dwi's POV

Sun Woo and I were reading the book that (Y/n) gave him. So was this the 'book of ties' that mother had? But there has to be a way to save everyone without anyone dying.

Suddenly, there was a loud rumble in the room. It was coming from where (Y/n) was. It seemed as if she was glowing along with the strange book Sun Woo found.

"G-guys, this book...I think I know the way we can save everyone," she said before the light subdued and disappeared.

I quickly caught her before she fell. Maybe she used too much power to read this book. Sun Woo hid it within his clothes.

We heard footsteps from the stairs. I picked (Y/n) up. Sun Woo gestured for me to follow him. We hid behind some book shelves at the very back of the room.

"Come out, I heard someone in here. Where are you? Show yourselves."

That was Sook Myung's voice. How did she get here?! She was supposed to be back at Hwarang House.
(Y/n)'s breathing started to become faster, as if she was gasping for air. Sun Woo touched her forehead and looked at me with worry. Did she have a fever?

"Found you."

We quickly turned around.

"Ji Dwi, Sun Woo and (Y/n) as well? What are you three doing here? How did you find this place?" she asked while glaring at us.
"We're not obliged to tell a stubborn princess everything," replied Sun Woo.
"Tell me now, before I call the guards in here. Mother will surely execute you three for intruding into this sacred place."
"Sacred, you say? This place is just hiding all of the royal family's secrets."
"Gu-"
"Do not call them in here. I have more authority than you so there will be no point."
"What are you talking about?"
"Nothing you should concern yourself with. Now let us pass."

She glared at me, unwilling to let us go. *sigh* She had the exact same stubbornness as our mother.