Chapter 4

(Y/n)'s POV

I was in the forest, talking to the little birds. It was so peaceful here. There were no annoyingly rude people that could bother me and I was surrounded by cute animals.

I looked towards my right side and saw a snake about to pounce onto a rabbit. *pouts* I picked the snake up by its head and frowned.

"I know it's part of the food chain but don't eat those rabbits in front of me."

It didn't do anything and just continued to stare at me. Well, I couldn't stop it from killing those rabbits.

"Yah, that's dangerous. Put the snake down," exclaimed Ah Ro.
"Hmm, why? It's not causing me any harm."
"*sigh* You really are strange...Anyway, I brought you some food."
"Really?! Thanks!"

She just laughed and put them beside me. I haven't eaten in ages, so this got me excited.

"I can't stay for now, I have to help my father but enjoy," she said before leaving.

I waved before unwrapping the containers. The snake slithered away, unbothered by the current situation. While eating, I couldn't help but feel homesick. I missed my parents...

"Why are you crying?"

I jumped, frightened by the sudden sound of someone's voice.

"At least make some noise when you walk and I'm not crying. It's the onions."
"Interesting...to put onion in tea," replied Ji Dwi.

He sat down beside me.

"Oh, whatever."

He looked at me and frowned.

"What is it?"
"I'm hungry, give me some," he said while opening his mouth.

*sigh* I got some rice cakes and fed it to him. He chewed before swallowing.

"Did you make this?" he asked.
"No, Ah Ro did. My father doesn't let me eat...much."
"Oh, I see."

I turned around to look at him but he had leaned back against the tree and had closed his eyes.
I packed up the containers after washing them in the stream.

"Hey Ji Dwi, I'm going to give these back to Ah Ro."
"Please stay here for a while. I want to sleep."
"Then go back home."
"Just for 10 minutes. I'm tired."
"Well, I'm tired too but-"

He covered my mouth and put his hand over my eyes.

"Then sleep."

But it wasn't that easy for me. I couldn't just fall asleep like how most people did. The nightmares kept me from sleeping and I couldn't sleep with the fear that my father may scold me.
But despite thinking all that, I ended up relaxing and drifted into a deep sleep.

Ji Dwi's POV

~Some time later~

Huh? How long was I asleep for? I looked at (Y/n) and noticed that she was asleep. I couldn't exactly move since she was lying on my chest but how long has it been since I've been able to sleep peacefully? Was it because this girl was here?

"Huh? Where am I?"
"You fell asleep."

She looked around before rubbing her eyes. After yawning, she sighed happily.

"That was the best sleep I've had in ages," she exclaimed.
"Why? Do you stay up all night?"
"You wouldn't understand. Anyway, what time is it? I totally forgot, I need to give these back to Ah Ro! Sorry for sleeping for so long! Let's talk again some other time."

Before I could reply, she had run off.

"Did you have a good nap?" asked Pa Oh.
"Ah- geez, you scared me."
"Did you walk all the way here?"
"Yeah, since you hid my horse somewhere. You do know that that won't stop me from seeing her, right?"
"Your highness, please stop meeting that girl. I have a feeling that the queen will not like-"
"Why should I care about what she likes or dislikes?"
"*sigh*"

I stood up and followed Pa Oh back to town, where an unexpected commotion had risen. And to think I once thought it would've been peaceful to come back...

"Yah, Kim Soo Ho!" yelled Soo Yeon.
"Step back, sis. I'm gonna teach that boy a lesson," replied Soo Ho.

Before he could land a hit on the child who had spilt water all over his clothes, (Y/n) grabbed Soo Ho's arm and twisted it.

"Stop bullying little kids," she said with a glare.
"You have no right to tell me what to do," he said while freeing himself from her grasp.
"He's just a boy! Everyone makes mistakes, so just forgive him. The world may have been unfair, but that's why we treat each other with respect, is it not?"
"Shut up, what the hell do you know about respect? Tch, you are probably the lowest ranked person here and you're trying to boss me around? In your dreams."

(Y/n)'s POV

I clenched my fists. Suddenly, someone grabbed my shoulder and pulled me back.

"Oh my, I an terribly sorry for how my daughter has behaved. Please forgive us," exclaimed father.
"Tch, you're lucky that I'm letting you go this time. Now get lost," Soo Ho replied before walking off.
"(Y/n), please don't be too upset. I'll try to stop him next time," Soo Yeon said before running after Soo Ho.

*sigh* Now time for my punishment.

~Back at home~

"(Y/n), how many times have I told you not to pick a fight?! Why are you always so disobedient?!"

I looked away. There was nothing I could do when he was angry. The only thing that happened were my beatings during his time of anger. It was almost like I was used to it, as if I had accepted the fact of being abused.

He grabbed my hair and pushed me to the ground. After a few kicks and punches, he finally left and went to his room. Tears slid down my cheeks. It hurt and nothing could take away this endless pain.