Chapter 7

Simon and Jace stumbled forward, shouting for help and Isabelle ran off to find a medic. I was at the point of gasping for air and my head pounded like nothing I'd ever felt before, begging for oxygen.

"Over here! Put her over here!" A new voice I didn't recognise - or couldn't identify in my state - called.

I felt myself being hurriedly dragged forward before being lain down on a cold table. I felt hands pressing different areas of my chest while a new wave of blood spurted from my mouth.

"She has a punctured lung caused by four broken ribs, her lungs are flooded, possible skull fracture and internal bleeding. We need to operate before her healing runes can be used effectively - now!" The world seemed to move around me and faces jumped in and out of my vision as the table I was on was wheeled down the corridor. Jace, Clary, Isabelle, Alec, Simon, Clary, Isabelle, Jace, Simon, Alec. Everybody was talking to me but I could no longer hear the words coming from their moving mouths. The last thing I saw was the bright white ceiling of the operating room before everything fell into darkness.

***

I could feel weight on one side of the bed I was in. I realised someone was holding my hand and I felt my fingers twitch.

"Sam? Samara? Can you hear me?" I squeezed the hand that I was holding to tell them yes. "Come on mate, come on open your eyes."

At first the light was so overwhelming to my senses that I couldn't make out anything. After blinking a few times I could differentiate colours and shapes and I realised that there was a head of blonde hair, looking down at me.

"Jace?" My voice came out cracked and my words were slurred but the head started to nod and after a few more seconds of swimming vision, Jace's face became distinguishable. "What are you doing here?"

"Waiting for you to wake up obviously," He rolled his eyes, but I could see his smile was gentle and he was genuinely worried.

"Dude what happened?" I asked, trying to wiggle my way up.

Jace helped me into a sitting position before he replied. "You saved Alec's life," He whispered, "And nearly died."

"Is Alec okay?" I asked, looking down at my hands.

Jace let out a strained laugh, "I tell you that you nearly just died and you're asking if he's okay? My God." He looked down at me and realised I was still looking at him expectantly and he cleared his throat, "Yes he's okay," He assured me.

"And Clary? Isabelle? What about Simon? Is he okay?"

"Yes- yes- they're all fine calm down," Jace said, holding his hands up.

"And you?" he nodded again. I let out a sigh and fell back against my pillows, remembering what I had been meaning to talk to him about. "I know that my mom was part of the Circle, and I know they killed you're father, and I just wanted you to know that I'm sorry for that."

He offered me a small smile and squeezed my hand, "You really are something else you know that?" he chuckled. Taking a more serious look on he said, "You had me so worried, I thought we were going to lose you."

"Why? Don't you care that I'm the daughter of the enemy?" I asked half-heartedly.

"Not at all, Sam you're my little sister now."

I grinned, "Yeah because you love Clary," I teased.

He snorted, but looked me in the eye again, "and if you're talking about Alec... he doesn't really think that. He was really worried-"