Chapter 10

I sat on the edge of my bed, back to my door, looking out the window at the dark sky. Stars littered the vast span of midnight blue, but were dulled by the haze of the city lights. I felt a shift in the weight of my bed and looked to my left. Alec had sat down beside me.

"Hey," He greeted.

"Hey," I nodded in return.

"How are you doing?" He asked.

"I'm fine, you're the one that got thrown around by a demon," I pointed out.

He chuckled, "Yeah I guess, you know, that move you did - launching into the tornado, that was pretty impressive," he nudged my shoulder teasingly, "You must have one hell of an instructor."

"I didn't even know what I was doing. I just saw the panic, and everybody was yelling different things at me and... I just acted," I shrugged.

"Samara, you killed one of the Greater Demons. There's not a lot of Shadowhunters who can make that claim," He said more seriously, "Plus you saved Jace's life."

"Yeah, but in killing that demon, I lost Clary's memories forever. Now we're never going to find the Mortal Cup," I said, frustration flooding me.

"Hey, we will get the Cup - before Valentine," He assured me, "And, it will be a hell of a lot easier, with Jace alive, so there's that."

I smiled, "There's that," I repeated. I sighed and rested my head on Alec's shoulder, "I miss my mom."

Alec wrapped his arm around my shoulder, "I know, but we're gonna find her too, I promise."

***

Jace was walking so fast down the hall he nearly bowled me right over. He caught me just in time and up righted me.

"Woah there? In a hurry?" I asked, but I saw his jaw was set tightly and I tilted my head, "Everything okay?"

"Alec took Clary's necklace," He said angrily.

"What? Why?" I was confused.

"Because Valentine was talking to her through it," He replied through gritted teeth.

"Real, actual, my father, Valentine?" Jace nodded.

"I don't want to have this discussion again, I'm going to the training room, care to join?" He offered.

I agreed and followed him as he made his way to the training room - at a much slower pace.

"Jace can I ask you something?" I looked up at him as we made our way through the halls.

"Yeah anything, what is it?" He replied, glancing down at me.

"What happened when you tried to summon the demon to get Clary's memories back? How did it go so wrong?" I had been thinking about it since we'd gotten back.

Jace sighed, then started to explain. "The demon was more powerful than I think Clary had anticipated, and it was really difficult to hold on. Clary let go of Isabelle's hand for a split second, but that was all it took for her to break the bond. Everyone was thrown backwards but it drew Alec back in. I pushed him out of the way and it grabbed me instead. Then that's when you came running in," he looked at me and then nudged my shoulder, lightening the mood a little, "And sent it straight back to hell." I laughed just as we reached the training room.

"All right, weapon of choice?" Jace asked, as he jumped over a table to reach for a seraph blade. I reached for my belt, whipping it off in one fluid motion, and snapped it into the Bo staff. Jace looked back at me, "Okay then," he chuckled.